Gym Etiquette 101 And Then Some

Gym Etiquette 101 And Then Some

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

108
Gym Etiquette 101 And Then Some
media.defense.gov

The gym can be a scary place for newcomers, but I promise it's not. I was nervous my first time working out. I soon learned no one cares who you are or your weight in there; I'm talking about real gyms in the community. Let's look into the basic unspoken rules of the gym. Sadly, I've had to deal with people breaking these rules.

No one cares, seriously. Everyone in there only cares about what they are doing. They are too focused on themselves. People are making sure they are lifting their weight correct, focused on their breathing, or just plainly focused on their workout. Nobody is looking at you. If they are, they are probably waiting for the machine you are on.

Never "camp out" on a machine. Get on the machine, do your workout and get off. Don't get on Instagram between sets. Don't take a three-minute break between sets. Taking too long of a break doesn't help you when you are seriously trying to make gains or lose weight anyways. Take a breather. You can feel your body? Okay, get your sets done and move on.

Never stand in front of someone in the mirror or stand too close. This used to drive me insane at my college gym. I would be standing back from the dumbbell rack killing a workout. I'm looking into the mirror behind the dumbbell rack to make sure I'm getting good complete sets without my arms doing something crazy.

What do you know, someone stands right in front of me to start their sets. This is completely rude. Plus, this goes for standing too close to someone. I'm not going to feel bad when I smack you in the back with my weights because you chose to stand too close to me.

Always re-rack your weights! This is very important and respectful to others in the gym. You are an adult and no one needs to pick up after you. If you can't re-rack your weights please go back to elementary school because you are a child. I've walked into the all women's part of the gym with weights scattered everywhere. I had to take time out of my workout to pick them up. I don't want to trip over them, plus, I needed a few of the weights. It also confuses people if you are done with the machine yet.

Please don't throw weights or scream in the gym. Occasional grunts are acceptable when you are pushing yourself. I'm talking slinging weights off the bar and yelling. These actions are extremely dangerous to those around you. I've seen this act in my college's gym. If you hurt someone while doing this stupid act, be ready for all the lawsuits to follow.

Wear proper equipment. Don't wear jeans to work out. Yes, I see this more than you think.

Everyone smells and looks gross. It's a gym. Look ugly don't worry about your hair. Ladies, don't do your make up for a workout. It's going to be down your face anyways. Don't spray any perfume or men's cologne. It's an instant headache and no one can breathe from chocking on the overpowering smell.

Never compare yourself to others while in the gym. Everyone is at different points in their workouts and at different levels. I, in no shape or form, will ever be able to squat 300 pounds. I'm not the fastest or strongest person in the gym and that's okay. I'm only focused on myself and my own goals. Focus on yourself.

Support your local, small business and go to the gym. It's a great way to relieve stress and stay healthy. Enjoy your time in the gym!