Guynecology Lecture Review

Guynecology Lecture Review

Find out what men really think about women reproduction?

56
Guynecology Lecture Review

November 16, 2016, Rene Almeling, author of Guynecology came to SUNY Purchase, the State University of New York at Purchase College to give a lecture about her latest book. Almeling says that this book would not be possible if she has not had support from sponsors and research clinics. The overall message about this book shows the underlining thoughts men have about reproduction.

The “Guynecology” lecture spoken by Rene Almeling on Tuesday alongside with Arielle, turned out extraordinarily good. I felt that someone needed to question men’s voice in reproduction. Before attending the lecture, I felt that the world only provides information on women’s reproduction and studies, and leave out men’s studies. I enjoyed how Almeling spoke about the results from her Yale study without offending any sexuality or lifestyle of the men in the study. I learned that men play a vital role just as the women do in reproduction. Likewise, men’s health also plays a big role in the baby’s health. A guy that in the process of trying to make a baby with a woman should make sure they regularly eat healthily and exercise. Men who lack with regularly exercising and eating healthy could cause the baby to have deformities because their sperm will not be up to par. Also, I thought that Almeling providing the responses from the guys in the study was great instead of just talking about the guy’s responses. I was surprised by the responses said to the guys about what they thought their role was in reproduction. One of the guys’, Avi says their role is “show kids things about everyday life.” Another guy, Gary said, “being the provider, more like a father figure.” The last guy, Kenneth said, “males provide the sperm that has to fertilize the egg.” This lecture relates to Science in the Modern World because currently, we are learning about psychological disorders. When learning about an Antisocial disorder, I found out that the disorder is more common in men. In Almeling’s study the men were seen as the participants, in most of the videos or experiments we have read for class, the gender primarily involved were men.

Not a lot of people and scientist talk about women’s reproductions but they do not continue the discussion on a deeper level. This is a conversation that needs to get started world wide, because the person beside someone could have confusing thoughts about womanhood. These questions will continue to go unanswered until someone inform the public more about men's studies. Almeling coming out with this book shows that someone cares enough to talk about the things the world seems to be uncomfortable to mention.