Most My Friends Are Guys And That's Okay
Life Stages

Yes, Most Of My Friends Are Guys, And Honestly, I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

An idea that I know I had growing up and then even into high school a little bit, was that girls couldn't be just friends with guys.

293
FOX

I always have gotten along better with guys because I have had a lot of different experiences compared to my female counterparts. I never wanted to deal with the drama or gossip to that caliber. I have always wanted to just hang out and talk and enjoy living my life with my friends.

When I got to college, I found my people. I have a close circle of a couple guys, but two of my best friends are guys and that's totally okay. Not to say I don't have female friends, because I do. My current roommate and I are two peas in a pod and she is one of the best friends I have ever had.

My first two weeks of college were a struggle socially. I was nervous to go and get myself out there, but I desperately wanted to have friends to hang out with and not be by myself in my room watching YouTube for hours on end. My roommate at the time was from instate and her best friend from high school lived in the next building over. Easy to say my roommate would not be my next best friend, not that I expected her to be, but she kind of closed herself off to new friends because she had "enough".

I ended up talking to a kid I met in my orientation group and he and I went and got dinner one night so I could complain to him about how I didn't have any friends. When we finished dinner, he was going to meet up with his girlfriend and told me that I should meet the guys on his floor, he thought I would get along with them really well.

As it turns out, I do! That night I met my best friend Ryan and we ended up wandering around campus that night for an hour just talking and getting the lay of the land since we are both freshmen.

The Friday night of that week I texted Ryan and asked if we could hang out again. We hung out and realized we had a lot in common. Slowly I met all of the guys on the floor and so many of them have become good friends of mine and a couple of them, I don't know what I would do without.

Yes, it sounds "weird" that I hang out with guys all the time, but I don't see a single thing wrong with it. I know that they would do anything for me, just like I would do anything for them.

I will also acknowledge that age-old comment of "Well are you really just friends? Like there's nothing else?" And yes, for some of them there is something else, they're my best friends! I always struggled in high school having quality friends. Finally my senior year I found two or three people that I knew would stay with me through the next few years.

People shouldn't judge me for having good friends. Their gender expression or identifications don't matter as long as they are healthy relationships. And they are. I am so grateful to have them as my buddies day to day and then as a support system when I'm having a bad day.