Guilty Pleasure Songs

Guilty Pleasure Songs, Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Backstreet Boys

Turns out, everybody WAS kung-fu fighting...

73
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKHM7-6XWrM

AC/DC. Guns 'N' Roses. The Foo Fighters.

These are just a few of my favorite bands of all time - artists who really rock, with music I'll always go back to and a body of work that I'll happily talk about to anyone who's interested (and some folks who aren't). But unfortunately, this is not the music we're here to talk about today.

No, today we're here to talk about a few "guilty pleasure songs." You know, those songs you only ever listen to with your headphones safely plugged in, or singing at the top of your voice when it's just you alone in your car, windows all the way up. Because, God forbid anyone you know find out you secretly adore "The Sign" by Ace of Base (I do), or you believe Backstreet Boys are easily the best boy band of all time (they are).

That's right, today I'm coming clean with some of my favorite Guilty Pleasure Songs! So, crank up the radio and let the T-Swift blare! Things are about to get interesting.

“Blue (Da Ba Dee)”  - Eiffel 65, 1999

"Yo, listen up, here's a story . . ." about a song I first heard during the opening credits of "Iron Man 3" way back in 2013, and have not stopped liking since. Sure, it's a pretty mindless, repetitive pop song with no real meaning (except, maybe it's about depression . . .?) But no matter how many people tear down this song as just another obnoxious artifact of late 90s culture, I don't care. That main keyboard part is so damn infectious, and as soon as I hear those opening synth chords, I know the next few minutes are guaranteed to be gold. Or, more aptly, blue. Da ba dee.

“Lovefool,” The Cardigans, 1996

And while we're on the topic of forgotten 90's pop, remember this song? I sure do. Hell, I might be listening to it right now. I first heard "Lovefool" used in a very funny gag from 2004's comedy triumph "Hot Fuzz,"and it's been on my primary playlist ever since. (By the way, you'll probably notice that quite a I discovered quite a few of these songs in movies) "Lovefool," the only song I know by The Cardigans and undoubtedly the only one worth mentioning, could best be described as a funky 90's jam with a simple-yet-fantastic drum line and an awesome chorus that I, of course, know every word to. But if you still can't recall this song, here's that clip from "Hot Fuzz"I mentioned.

“Unwritten” - Natasha Bedingfield, 2004

What an absolute inspiration of a song, right? A musical staple of high school graduations, "Unwritten" is one of those songs I think everyone can relate to in some way. This song is a great example of how a simple melody can build and build, through the pre-chorus ("Staring at the blank page before you . . .") and by the time that chorus of "Feel the rain on your skin!" arrives, I can't help but sing along in full gusto. And even though I'm only putting one song per artist on this list, I easily could've swapped "Unwritten" out with "Pocketful of Sunshine." Fantastic songs, all the way.

“Angel” - Shaggy (ft. Rayvon), 2000

This one hardly qualifies as a "guilty pleasure" song because . . . c'mon, we all love this song, right? The combination of Rayvon's smooth vocals and Shaggy's very exaggerated Jamaican-accent rapping is only bolstered by the oddly satisfying marriage of Steve Miller's "The Joker" with the classic "Angel of the Morning." I was talking with my younger brother about this song once, and he remarked, "I don't think anyone ever learns this song, but somehow everyone knows it." And I couldn't agree with him more. For a soulful jam of a guilty pleasure, look no further than "Angel."

“Cake by the Ocean” - DNCE, 2015

In more modern guilty pleasures, who could forget about this awesome pop hit from DNCE, Joe Jonas's post-Brothers musical act? I think I might be the only person who still cares about this song in 2018; anytime I put it on aux, I get nothing but groans from my passengers. But I can tell you exactly why I love it so much - there's a very simple, but very earworm-y, bass line that just repeats throughout the entire song. It doesn't let up once, and it anchors the song from start to finish. So here's to you, Joe Jonas, for making a song so engaging that I accidentally crashed my car to it one time. But that's another story.

“Tik Tok” - Ke$ha, 2010

For having as many head-bangers as she does, Ke$ha sure cops a lot of flak. "Tik Tok" is probably her best, and sure, it's just more mindless pop music. But it was also a much-loved classic at every one of my high school homecoming dances. And I defy you to not start tapping your feet along whenever this song comes on, or to not shout to the heavens above, "The party don't start 'til I walk in!" just before the last chorus. Plus, KeSha's an actual genius. So give her a break.

“Ode To Joy (from Symphony No. 9)” - Ludwig Van Beethoven, 1824

Now here's a weird one. I enjoy a little bit of classical music from time to time, and no song gets me more pumped than "Ode to Joy." You probably know it best from its use in the Die Hard films, whereas I know it best as that song I only ever get to listen to alone with my headphones plugged in. Plus, I know all the words in German. And I don't speak a word of German. "Freude, Schoner Gotterfunken!"

For the record, the best version is the one above, recorded by the Philadelphia Orchestra & Westminster Choir.

“Kung Fu Fighting” - Carl Douglas, 1974

A dated 70's funk song about reveling in the beauty of an ancient Chinese martial art? Yes, please! You all know this song, so there's not a whole lot I need to say about it. Nonetheless, I qualify this one as a guilty pleasure because for the past two years, it's been a consistent staple of my weightlifting playlist. Get your groove on & pump some iron!

“Complicated” - Avril Lavigne, 2002

Why do I like this song? I honestly couldn't tell you. Regardless, as soon as Ms. Lavigne informs me that yes, indeed, "Life's like this," I'm instantly onboard. Maybe it's the simple acoustic guitar in the verses that switches to blaring electrics on the chorus, or the thumping drum beats, or maybe it's just a good song after all. But that's probably not why.

“Can’t Stop The Feeling” - Justin Timberlake, 2016

Need a song to lift your spirits on the gloomiest of days? Look no further than "Can't Stop The Feeling." This song is just so damn infectious. Did you know that it's scientifically impossible to be in a bad mood while listening to "Can't Stop The Feeling?" Because that's a fact of life that you can test for yourself. Hats off to you, Mr. Timberlake, for creating an absolute banger that can drive any gray clouds away.

“Rainbow Connection” - The Muppets, 1978

Maybe the Muppets aren't the first place you'll typically look for really powerful, emotionally rich music, but you won't have to look any further than "Rainbow Connection." At its heart, "Rainbow Connection" is a song about believing in something bigger than yourself, regardless of what any cynical voices may tell you. It's such a pure message, and I'll be damned if I'm not getting goosebumps just writing this. And for the record, the best version is the one from "The Muppets" (2011) soundtrack, featuring Miss Piggy, Animal, and the rest of the gang accompanying the famous green frog. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that version on YouTube; it's on iTunes.

“Somewhere Over the Rainbow” - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, 1990

Maybe you haven't heard the incredible recording of this classic song; if not, you're really missing out. Hawaiian folk singer Israel "Last Name I Won't Even Try To Pronounce" Kamakawiwo'ole performed the Wizard of Oz tune with nothing but a ukulele, creating one of the most peaceful-sounding songs I've ever heard. It's all the more impactful knowing Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole tragically died at the very young age of 38; still, this song will remain a classic forever.

“Ice Ice Baby” - Vanilla Ice, 1990

Okay . . . hear me out. Is this song the epitome of 90's cheese? Yes. Is it one of the whitest rap tracks ever to hit the Billboard Top 40? Absolutely. Does it shamelessly rip the bass line from Queen & David Bowie's "Under Pressure," one of the best songs ever created? Undeniably. Do I care about any of this? No. Do I know every word to this song? Obviously. Have I used it at karaoke competitions? Repeatedly. Did I co-create a music video of this song in sophomore year of high school that earned an A+ in "Communication Studies" and was loved by the entire school? Perhaps. Will you ever see that video? Most likely, not. Have I just written an entire defense of the song "Ice Ice Baby" in Q & A format? Answer that yourself.

“Love Story” - Taylor Swift, 2008

This is it, guys. The guilty pleasure song of guilty pleasure songs. A song that hits home every single time I hear it, and a song I'm almost always too ashamed to play in the company of others. But damn, if this isn't a nearly perfect song. The chord progression is great, it's simple but still powerful, and T-Swift puts so much heart into her every lyric.

Oh, that break in writing just signifies where I stopped typing this to lip-sync along for a few seconds. Where was I? The best part of this song is right after the bridge, when she sings, " . . . knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said - " and then the key changes for the last chorus, the guitars hit hard, and it's one of the most rockin' country jams I've ever heard. Straight-up eargasms, that's what that is. And if you're not familiar with that term, clearly you've never truly enjoyed good music.

But at the end of the day, the point of a "guilty pleasure songs" list isn't to mock or belittle any artists, songs, or fans. In fact, I'm not even really sure I believe in the idea of a guilty pleasure song; just like the music you like and don't feel bad about it. Unless it's Marilyn Manson. Then there's a problem.