12 Ways To Survive Winter In The North If You Are From The South

Because baby, it's cold outside.
300

This winter is my first winter experience with snow and temperatures below about 40 degrees. At first, I didn't know much about what I needed to do to stay warm.

If you're like me and experiencing your first winter (with snow, ice, and temperatures below 30 degrees), here are a few survival ti[ps that have and are helping me get through the winter.

1. Invest in a down jacket/vest and thicker coats

In the North, it's all about layers, long sleeves, snow boots or boots in general, scarves and hats and socks. TIP: It doesn't warm up during the day like it does in the south either, it stays relatively the same temperature all day.

2. Have an ice and snow scraper

In the mornings, when there is frost on your car (if you drive) an ice and snow scraper is handy to have and works better than using the heat from your car.

3. Invest in some firewood

And light it up... Fires, if done correctly are a great way to get some extra heat in your house.

4. If you are driving anywhere, have a thing of kitty litter in the car to get your wheels unstuck.

This can help put a little extra traction under the wheels if your car gets stuck somewhere in the snow.

5. Also, when driving down a hill, press the break ahead of time to ensure that you can stop

Especially in the snow.....

6. Layers. Layers. Layers.

They help regulate body temperature and trap air between them which is then warmed up and helps keep you warm.if you find yourself getting too warm, you can also remove them.

7. If driving, keep the fuel tank at least 1/4 of the way full

This way if you run into problems you know you have gas to get you somewhere and if your car is kept outside having at least 1/4 a tank of gas could prevent the engine from freezing.

8. Cover your head

According to some statistics, we lose about 90% of our heat through our head.

9. Use your least dense blanket on top of your bed and the densest closest to you

This helps prevent unnecessary heat loss and will keep you warmer when sleeping.

10. DIY hand warmers

You can buy some too but they honestly would be more fun to make.

11. Eat foods that will keep you warm

Examples include soup, hot chocolate, coffee and teas, and any other foods with extra fat.

12. Buy some mittens and/or gloves and thick socks to wear with boots

These along with the hand warmers will keep your hands and feet warm when walking or working outside.