11 Reasons Kids Should Grow Up On Farms

11 Reasons Growing Up On Farms Shapes Kids Into Better Adults

I am forever grateful for the important life lessons that were taught on a farm.

27
Emily Smith

As a child, I wasn't your typical girl playing dress-up and collecting American Girl Dolls. Instead, I was outside on the farm all day, helping complete chores to maybe get lucky enough to get to ride the barn owners' horse for 30 minutes. There's no way to sugar coat it, life on a farm is not easy. There are seemingly endless things that need to get done in a day and not enough time to do all of it. Having a living creature depend on you is a huge responsibility and one that I learned at a young age. It doesn't matter if you are tired, sick, or just not in the "mood," the animals needed to be fed and given water, so we would show up no matter the circumstances. The countless lessons I learned on the farm made up for all those freezing cold mornings, long days, and social events missed. Here are some of the many reasons to let your kids grow up on farms.

They will learn the meaning of hard work

Emily Smith

There is no better introduction to the hard work required to be successful in life than growing up on a farm. It is inherently hard work. Every day, 365 days a year, the animals need to be fed and cared for. There truly are no days off when you have a farm. From sweeping to painting fences, there is always something that needs to get done.

They will become confident

Emily Smith

Confidence is a vital life skill. Working on a farm provides many challenges to overcome. There is something about working with animals that are bigger and stronger than you that gives you a sense of confidence to take on everything life throws at you.

They will learn humility

Emily Smith

There is nothing more humbling than working with an animal that has a mind of its own. You will be thrown in the dirt more times than you can count, and often at the worst possible time. However, picking yourself back up and getting back in the saddle is a lot like moving on from the inevitable embossment that life provides.

There's no better way to keep in shape

Emily Smith

Farm life is physically demanding. Sitting and being idle is not part of the job description. In a world where kids are often glued to their electronic devices, it is important to teach them the importance of living a healthy life that includes exercise.

They will learn practical knowledge

Emily Smith

Growing up on a farm meant that I learned to wear many hats. From a vet to a mechanic, there was never a lack of skills to learn. By the age of 12, I could give a horse an IM injection, fill up the tractors gas tank, and make a detailed schedule to ensure that everything got done in a day. These are tasks that many college kids still have not mastered.

They will learn how to be selfless

Emily Smith

Horses do not know that it is a Friday night and you have plans; if they get sick, you have to drop everything to take care of them. Although there were many social events missed out on, I wouldn't change having such a great responsibility for anything. It taught me that there are many situations where I cannot put myself first in life.

They will learn how to communicate better

Emily Smith

Communication is essential to any relationship and career. Letting your kids grow up on farms will ensure that they will learn effective communication skills. It takes a village to keep animals healthy. By communicating with coworkers, vets, hay suppliers, and farriers, I was taught just how important this skill is.

It will make them better people

Emily Smith

Interacting with animals teaches kids to be empathetic, kind, patient, and understanding. It also means that kids will learn to care for something other than themselves. These lessons provide a positive model for future human relationships.

They will learn the importance of "showing up"

Emily Smith

It doesn't matter if it's 100 degrees or below 30, the animals still need to be cared for. "Showing up" in life is essential for a successful career and relationships. Life isn't always easy, and there are many times where the last thing you want to do is go to work or help out a loved one, but it is important.

They will learn how to think on their feet

Emily Smith

When something goes wrong, learning to compromise is crucial. There is no handbook on how to manage all the problems that will be thrown at you when you work on a farm, so learning to think and problem solve are lessons learned quickly.

They will learn to take pride in their work

Emily Smith

At the end of the day, being proud of the work you are doing is essential. When you take care of animals, they reciprocate their appreciation for the care you provide.