Growing up in a country across the globe is pretty fun. Being an international student in the United States is also pretty fun. I really enjoy getting to know people from different cultures and who employ different values and beliefs. I love the experiences it's given me and the conversations it's started.. Which mostly go like this.
Person: What's your favorite thing about your country?
Sorry guys. I could talk about my country forever. #biased
Unfortunately, I do not have forever- so I've compiled a list of the most interesting things about my beloved home. Without further ado, here are the ten things I love about Southeast Asia. (not in order)
1) We have beaches. Lots of them.
2) The food there is to die for. Most Asian foods are served spicy, but if you're someone that doesn't really care for spicy foods, don't worry because most of these foods are defined by spicy condiments you add yourself. (like wasabi)
3) Y'all may have Fourth of July but we have Chinese New Year parades!
It's lit, fam.
4) There's this one place that has a literal roof of umbrellas. They're also perfectly color-coded. It's the most soul pleasing thing ever.
5) Markets that sell (almost) everything under the sun!
These markets, man. Want eggs that were laid just that morning? Go to the market. Need a new SIM card for your phone? Go to the market. Want freshly butchered meat? Go to the market. Plus, some of these markets are on water. It's amazing.
6) Durian- the literal KING OF FRUIT
It's not everyone's favorite because of the strong smell and rich taste.. But haters gonna hate. Just look at it. How majestic. Spikes and all.
7) It is always summer. I tell this to people and they laugh.. I'm so serious. It's absolutely magical.
Believe me now?
8) The toilets. They're the squatting kind. It's also muli-purpose- get your morning workout in when you get that morning bowel action going. How convenient. Get it, girl. You're killing it.
Work that booty.
9) Tea and coffee served in traditional china.
It may just be a me thing- but I just think it's so unique how they're served in these dainty little cups that were hand painted with love.
10) The people that make me whole.
Not to be cheesy, but look at my adorable coin slot eyed family. I miss them every day. They're my favorite.