You May Not Be Where You Thought You'd Be And That's OK
Life Stages

I’m 22, And I Am Not Anywhere I Thought I’d Be In Life

Life doesn't always work out the way you thought it would, and that's OK.

78

If you had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would've told you I wanted to be a teacher. More specifically, I probably would have told you I wanted to be a math teacher for high schoolers. I would've sworn up and down that's what I wanted to do.

Now, the last thing I want to do is teach, and I am about to graduate with a bachelors in psychology in hopes of furthering my education and receiving a Ph.D.

I also swore up and down and told everyone I met that I was never going to get married. I never wanted to have kids. I never wanted to be around kids because they annoyed me. I couldn't bond with them.

Now I'm dating someone who has a child, and we've discussed getting married one day. Plus, I'd like to deal with children no older than 10 when I receive a job in my field.

I always pictured myself coming home after work to a bunch of dogs, but never a significant other and definitely no kids. As a kid, I always liked being alone. I liked being able to keep to myself and be selfish.

Now, I see myself coming home to a husband and couple kids after a long day of work (and dogs still, of course). I want to be surrounded by love and people; my own family.

My point is life changes. Life goes through ups and downs, and your path changes constantly. Until recently, all of the changes scared the crap out of me. I didn't know who I was or what I was doing with my life (I mean, I still don't honestly, but who does?). I was contradicting everything I thought I wanted with my life, and it made me panic.

I realized those changes aren't something to be scared of. Those changes show you're getting older and maturing. You're learning more about yourself and your interests. That's not something to be scared of. I've become so much happier since I have made some changes.

So, embrace the change; It may turn into something good.