Growing Up With An Alcoholic Father

I'm The Girl Who Grew Up With An Alcoholic Father, And I'm Stronger Today Because Of It

I'm thankful that he chose alcohol over me.

684

Growing up my dad enjoyed alcohol more than he enjoyed spending quality time with me, which made me feel unsure of myself. When I would go to spend time at his house, all he would do is drink. Now when I'm around drunk people, it makes me uncomfortable. Alcohol is not something to mess around with, and I've learned that first hand. Alcohol can ultimately lead to death if one isn't careful.

I cannot stress this enough, you do not need alcohol to have a good time.

It's a load of crap if you think you do.

I can go out and have a great time without alcohol. When you drink, you could put your life and others at risk if you decide to go behind the wheel. When you drink, you don't have full control over your emotions or actions. I will never be able to understand why people think they can do things while drinking.

That's pure idiocracy.

For anyone currently struggling with a parent or family member choosing their addiction over you, I need you to understand that it is not your fault.

Nothing that you could have ever said or done would have been enough to stop the cycle.

The most important thing is that you are OK, physically and mentally.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, here's why I'm stronger because he is not in my life anymore. I have learned that in order to have a happy life, you must let others go. If there is someone in your life that makes you feel worse about yourself, let them go. If there is someone who makes you question if you are good enough, let them go. If there is someone taking away your happiness, let them go. You will thank yourself down the road for being strong enough to say that you were done with them, that you were done with being hurt, and that you were done being ridiculed.

It may sting for a short while, but I promise you it goes away. For me, once I stopped caring about him, I became happier, my self-confidence was raised, and I'm overall a better person.