How To Grow Spiritually

How To Grow Spiritually

"Remain in my love."

12
How To Grow Spiritually
StockSnap

Jesus encourages us to seek Him first in order to grow in our faith. We are encouraged, in our walk with God, to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Savior (2 Peter 3:18).

1. Remain in Him (as He remains in us).

The Lord is our GPS. If we don't keep our GPS on/open, how can we get to where we need to go? His word is a "lamp to our feet and a light to our path" (Psalm 119:105). It is the key to growing in our faith - being exposed to who He is through His word. By remaining in Him, the fruit we need in order to grow will be born. He has chosen us to bear His fruit" (John 15:16). "As the Father has loved me, I remain in you. Remain in my love" (John 15:9).

2. Acknowledge that we cannot do it by ourselves.

By acknowledging this, it is allowing God to step in and take control of our growth. We can't grow in our faith without the One who gives us faith. Acknowledging is surrendering.

3. You cannot grow spiritually if you are growing worldly.

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first" (John 15:8). He has chosen us out of the world, but we do not belong to it. We can grow in our faith apart from the desires of this world, or grow within the desires of this world apart from our faith. The results are better for one of those. "Whoever disowns me before others I will disown before my Father in Heaven" (Matt, 10:33).

4. Go where He sends you.

Open your heart and listen. Listen for His voice, listen to His voice. Where He is, growth is. It may not always be pretty or comfortable, but that's what's going to make you grow. Circumstances don't alter the goodness of God.

5. Growth = reveal.

In John 16, the disciples were grieving, but once they saw Jesus, it was turned to joy. Verse 24 says "Ask and you will receive and your joy will be complete." Be willing to pray about growing spiritually - communication is a key factor to growing in a relationship. And as you start/continue to grow in your relationship with God, He will reveal things to you - with God, you never stop learning. And you can never stop growing.

Your growth in your relationship with God isn't always going to be a straight line. It may waver and be messy. But God loves us, not our mess. Do not be discouraged, He says! Keep in prayer and His word.