I Learned Living In A Group Is Really Survival Of The Fittest

Sometimes being in a big group means things are bound to not go so well.

118
Katelyn Good

With there being nine in a group, something is bound to happen. Well, things did happen, unfortunately; we were on our way from Munich, Germany to Orchweiser, Germany and had a ten-minute switch in Stuttgart, Germany from one platform to the next. It sounded pretty easy to me thinking about it, and I didn’t think too much of it when we were on the train. It seemed like the team knew go fast and get to the next train since we didn't want miss it.

But little did we know, when we jumped out of the train and bolted to the next one that is was crazy. I kid you not, we had to run the whole way down to the other side of the train and to a different platform to go around another train, down the long stretch, and hop onto the next train. Well, it was not easy one bit!

The worse part was the heavy luggage on our back and trying to dodge other people. Running like no tomorrow just didn’t feel so good on my legs. Many of us just weren't prepared for the run. The good news though was that I was lucky enough to run a good pace and follow the leader to the fast people in my group. I saw that one hopped on the train in case it started to go but others in the meantime we're still running to the correct car.

Knowing myself, I’m not the fastest runner and didn’t want to miss the train so I ran to the next car and got in. But much of the team was either left behind or way ahead in the correct car. Then we got a call from one of the teammates saying they missed the train with two others and that was what we where afraid would happen.

So six of us were on the train and three were left in Stuggart trying to get another train to get to the rest of us. The best part was when we were sitting there we discussed how they didn't know where the rest of went, and then said it was definitely survival of the fittest because if you don’t pay attention and/or go quickly you won’t survive. That’s what’s happened to the three team members in the group.

We all love each other but we knew something like this would happen, and most of us like to say it as “life in a group” whenever something happens like that. But that wasn’t even the last of their travel. They finally got a train and were on their way to where we were, and they called us again saying they got off too early and did not have time to catch another train.

It was very late when they got in, but thankfully they finally made it. Learning from that experience I’m just glad I was one of the ones that survived that crazy train switch. I now understand a bit more about public transportation and how it works as well. It’s always good to be safe than sorry, but hey that’s life in a group.