20 Signs You Grew Up In Brownsville, TX

20 Signs You Grew Up In Brownsville, TX

Charro Days was a city-wide holiday no one would miss.

4740
20 Signs You Grew Up In Brownsville, TX
Author's photo

Less than a year ago, I wrote an article that stated that, while Brownsville will always be where I call home, I needed to move on. Until this day, I stand by that article, but that never meant I did not actually miss Brownsville. You get this warm and welcoming feeling when you are there. It is like no other place I have ever been.

Of course, it took me until I got to college and realized that no one knew where I was from, to actually appreciate the value this town had. I have been missing it lately, so here are 15 signs you grew up in this wonderful town that is basically México.

1. All your crew went a taqueria after parties.

Tacos, in general, were the food everyone craved after a fun night. They were open past 1:30 a.m., therefore food was never an issue after a prom or an XV.

2. Matamoros was on the to-do list for the weekends.

Whether you went for pleasure or doctor appointments, Matamoros was probably in your plans. It is where you got the aguacates for cheaper. If you did not get an elote en vaso (corn in a cup), then you did not really go.

3. Going to the outlets was also for the weekends.

Because the mall in Brownsville was small compared to the outlets, that is where everyone went to go shop. It was a 45-minute drive we were usually willing to take if it meant better stores and even better restaurants.

4. You spent all of your freshman year going from quinceanera to quinceanera.

Okay, if you were never a dama or chambelan at least once, you were doing something wrong. Even then, you probably spent your freshman year weekends at the event center or amigoland convention center zapateando with your girl/boyfriend you thought you were going to marry.

5. Charro Days was a city-wide holiday no one would miss.

It was happening all around you, so there was no way you could miss it. Whether you attended the parades that lasted three hours or you went to sombrero fest, you were involved in Charro Days one way or another.

6. Speaking Spanish was mandatory, or at least Spanglish.

To say Brownsville’s population is made up of Latino’s is an understatement. You were basically denied a job if you were not bilingual or looked down upon if you did not speak Spanish. Although I did not agree with this, that was a part of life in Brownsville, TX.

7. Winks was where, if you got tired of huapangos, you would go two-stepping.

I am not saying we did not have our handful of non-Latinos. We always knew where those ten people that were not of Latino heritage would hang out. Sometimes you would see a couple of us fail at two-stepping to try something new. It never lasted very long.

8. “La Pulga” AKA the flea market was for Sundays and an espiropapa.

From old shoes to used lawn mowers to fake phones, you could find everything and anything at the flea market. The freshest fruits were available for sale and do not get me started on the espiropapas (potatoes on a stick). The atmosphere of the flea market made for a great Sunday.

9. We could not play football to save our lives but won various soccer championships.

Friday night lights in the fall were fun and all, but Friday night lights in the spring were way better. For starters, we would actually win. Soccer also just had this environment of unity like no other sport. Some of the high schools in Brownsville have won state championships for soccer.

10. Stripe tacos were always a must!

Whether it was at right before school or right before the start of a road trip, snagging a Stripes taco was a must. Those rich and flavorful tacos would hit the spot no matter which one you got. Add a coffee or orange juice to that, you have the perfect breakfast right at your fingertips.

11. The palm trees were clear indications you were almost home.

This is a huge one everyone knows, but for a good reason. Coming back home from anywhere past Corpus Christi was always a drag. Two hours before arrival, you find yourself driving down this long, straight road where not only do you not have any signal, but there is a cop every mile. When palm trees start appearing in sight, you see the light at the end of the long tunnel.

12. Any professional pictures you wanted, UTB’s got you.

If you find yourself needing to take graduation pictures or quinceanera pictures, you are most likely going to end up at UTB campus. They have a nice background and honestly, it is the nicer scenery in town.

13. You made fun of an SJA kid driving a Mercedes.

It was never with malicious intent, but you just never comprehended how they could drive that at age 16. You were somewhat jealous because you always heard about their parties, or so you heard.

14. “Cuantas pa la honey.”

This is a, if you have never seen this guy, you are not from Brownsville. This hard-working, although very witty man, goes around restaurants and various public places selling roses to make a living. He is a community legend, honestly. His “cuantas, cuantas pa la honey” has become so popular, but it works for him.

15. Gladys Porter Zoo was the field trip of your life.

Since first grade, you were going to the zoo as your field trip. Now known as the home of Harambe, it made for an awesome elementary hang out.

16. You were invited to the BISD encampment for an honors day.

This was always the best day of the end of the year as a high schooler. You got to play soccer or jump in the pool for a whole school day because you were able to keep above a 3.5 GPA. While there, you had to go check out the “haunted house” because you were a risk taker, oh yeah

.

17. You brought out your letterman Jacket when the temperature was below 70.

If you did not have those plastic arms full of patches from all your accomplishments, then you would bring out the heaviest coat in your closest.

18. While cities had news on the radio, we had border wait times.

It never failed that you would hear the radio guy announce the wait time at all three bridges in Brownsville plus the ones around the valley.

19. Raspas were the best way to cool off from the summer heat.

Whether it was the raspa stand of Military or the one on Central Blvd, a raspa was always a great idea.

20. You were going to SPI before it was a spring break college destination.

SPI is where you tell everyone you are from before you say Brownsville, so they are able to locate it. Little do they know, we spend so much time there growing up.

Wherever life takes me, I will always remember the amazing and humble place I call home.