If You Grew Up in St. Louis, You Can Relate To These 10 Truths

What high school did you go to?

1466
Allison MIller

As Nelly once said, "I'm from the Lou and I'm proud". If you're wondering who Nelly is right now, or what the Lou is, chances are you are not in fact from St. Louis. Here's 10 things only kids from St. Louis will understand.

1. Imo's Pizza is a gift sent from God.

Literally. St. Louis has the best of both worlds- slices of provolone cheese on flatbread and swarms of Catholics. If you're from St. Louis, there's a 50% chance you're Catholic, and an even greater chance you like Imo's. Let's be real though- most of us are just here for the T-ravs.

2. Everyone knows everyone.

If you live in Wildwood, Kirkwood, Ladue or any other suburb of St. Louis, chances are you have some pretty weird connections. "You went to Ladue High School? My cousin's brother's nephew's neighbor's girlfriend goes there!"

3. The Cardinals are a BIG deal.

St. Louisans practically live and breathe the Cardinals. With 11 World Series Championships, these people are die hard fans, and for good reason.

4. "Where'd you go to high school?"

THE most frequently asked question of St. Louis. Why high school is such a big deal in St Louis, the world will never know. An easy way to judge someone right off the bat and use your super weird, distant connections to make yourself feel popular. You'd be lying if you said you hadn't asked this question before.

5. It's St. Louis Bread Co, not Panera.

St. Louis will never support this name change. Where's the home town love?

6. "Sweet Caroline...."

"F**K SLUH High!" If you're not changing the words to this classic song, you're doing it wrong. Even SLUH High kids sing it, which is saying something. Arguably one of the best high schools in STL, the only way to truly rail SLUH is through a catchy song. We all secretly love this school and its people. This one's for you, fam.

7. Toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake

Ted Drew's ice cream, anything barbecue, Toasted Ravs, and gooey butter cake. St. Louis practically runs on these carb-loaded basics.

8. "Where'd our football team go?"

This question has been asked several times in St. Louis history. First it was the Cardinals, then it was the Rams. Where do they keep on going? Needless to say, St. Louis runs on baseball.

9. Whacky weather

St. Louisans can most definitely use weather for small talk considering it's always changing. It may be sunny in the morning, but you might as well plan for a hail storm or tornado that afternoon because it can and WILL happen.

10. St. Louis pride

Sure, St. Louis has its ups and downs, but there's no group of people with more pride for their hometown. Growing up in St. Louis gives you some of the best and most interesting experiences as a child. Large yet oh-so-small, St. Louis is a place where families stay for generations.