10 Gift Ideas That Are Great For The Environment
Holidays

10 Gift Ideas That Are Great For The Environment And Your Wallet

A mini herb garden is great for decoration, low maintenance, and improves indoor air quality.

67

Are you still pondering about what to give your sibling, parent, relative, friend or significant other this Christmas? Here are 10 unusual, useful and eco-friendly gifts that you probably have not thought.

1. Mini-herb garden

A mini herb garden is great for decoration, low maintenance, and improves indoor air quality. The herbs will also provide a refreshing aroma and a dash of flavor. Two examples: Aerogarden with herb seed pod kit and window box kit.

2. Tickets

While physical gifts can become worn out over time, the gift of experience can last a lifetime and leave tons of memories.

3. Symbolic gifts (adopt-an-animal)

Many zoos and aquariums, as well as non-profit organizations like Oceana, WWF, and Sierra Club, sell adopt-an-animal packages that donate money to conservation efforts of that animal while providing you with a stuffed animal and certificate

4. Re-gift a gift that was not suitable for you

We sometimes receive gifts that we do not like. They often sit in the idly in the closet. If you feel that one of those unwanted gifts will find a better home with someone else, then don't be afraid to give it. As long as that item(s) is still like new, re-gifting is completely fine.

5. Gifts from recycled sources

The use of recycled materials conserves resources, utilizes less energy to manufacture and reduces the waste stream while promoting closed-loop product design. Check out Uncommon Goods, Hipcycle, and Terracycle.

6. Collapsible cup

They make it convenient to have a cup of coffee without creating waste or carrying around a mug all the time.

7. Christmas tree starter kit

Plant a Christmas tree and watch it grow.

8. Fair Trade and organic chocolates

These chocolates taste just as blissful as any other, but also provide a vote for a more socially and environmentally sustainable future.

9. Battery-free Presents

About 40% of all battery sales occur during the holiday season, and most of those are single-use batteries. While single-use batteries not classified as hazardous waste, they still contain harmful materials and can be a hazard to younger children. Over time, the cost of replacing batteries can also add up. Here are a few examples of naturally powered presents.

10. Locally made gifts

Locally made gifts reduce fuel emissions from transportation and have their own unique, story since you know who made it and where it originated. They can be found at nearby craft fairs and artisan shops.