Greeks Relying On Christ Is A Community I Am So Grateful To Be A Part Of

"God is within her, she will not fall." Psalm 46:5

435
Olivia Kraeuter

There's a common misconception that women in different sororities hate each other, and that they're only friends with people in their respective house.

Anyone who has ever been in a sorority knows this to be completely false, acknowledging the fact that some of their best friends are in different sororities.

For anyone who doesn't know that women in different sororities support one another and build each other up, they would probably be surprised to learn that a group of women at Michigan State University come together every week to discuss the Bible and strengthen their relationship with God.

Before coming to college, I believed in God but didn't really have a relationship with Him. I didn't know what it meant to be a believer and I especially didn't know what it meant to be "saved by grace." I also didn't know what religion I identified with because half of my family is Christian and the other half is Jewish, so I grew up celebrating both Christmas and Hanukkah.

During the first week of school my freshman year, I joined a Christian bible study because I was curious about Christianity and I wanted to make friends. I went every week and also participated in the weekly worship because I enjoyed being surrounded by so many friendly people and it also strengthened my relationship with God and made me a true believer and happier person.

Midway through my first semester, a girl reached out to me and told me about a group called Greek ROC, which stands for Greeks Relying on Christ She said she saw that I was in a sorority and wanted to invite me to Greek ROC's bible study because she said I would be surrounded by other Christians in Greek life and that it was a great community to be a part of.

When I joined Greek life, I really struggled fitting in because I wasn't into the party scene (obviously Greek life involves so much more than partying, however, partying is a major factor), so I was intrigued to learn that there were other like-minded women in Greek life, just in different sororities.

It's been almost two-and-a-half years since I joined Greek ROC, and I couldn't be more grateful to the kind woman who first reached out to me and told me about this amazing group of women, or to God for placing so many incredible, genuine women in my life.

Greek ROC is a group at Michigan State University that holds weekly bible studies to give women in Greek life the opportunity to strengthen their relationship with God, as well as meet other Christian women in Greek life. Anyone is welcome, but the Bible study focuses on issues that women in Greek life often deal with, like how to inhabit the fine line between being a woman in Greek life and being a Christian.

I am very grateful for my college experience and everyone who has been a part of it, but I will always consider my involvement in Greek ROC to be my absolute favorite. In Greek ROC, I am surrounded by dozens of women from all walks of life who wear different letters on their chest. I am the only woman who represents my sorority, but that doesn't matter, because in Greek ROC, it doesn't matter how different our sororities' motto, values or philanthropy are from one another; all that matters is that we are sisters in Christ, we are believers, we are saved by grace and we are promised eternal life.

It's difficult to sum up how much Greek ROC means to me or how important every woman in this group is to me, which is one of the reasons why it's taken me more than two years to write about it, but I don't think there ever is a "right" way or the "right" words to sum up how important someone or something is to you; it's a feeling that is indescribable.

To my sisters in Christ who I am so grateful for, thank you for teaching me more about God and myself than I could have ever imagined. Thank you for praying for me in times of needs, and for praying for each other in times of need. Thank you for loving me for who I am, and being only a text or phone call away when I need you. Thank you for making bible study something I look forward to every week. Thank you for making such a positive impact on my life and for giving me an experience I will never forget. To the girl who invited me to Greek ROC two years ago, thank you for mustering up the courage to invite me, because without you, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am today.

"God is within her, she will not fall."
Psalm 46:5