The Grays Have It
Beauty Fashion

The Grays Have It

Just say "no" to hair dye.

168
The Grays Have It

It's a movement that I didn't realize that I was a part. I have seen plenty of posts on social media that document each woman's journey. But, no, there is no way that I am ready to join the huddled masses. At least, that was what I thought at the time. Then one morning I woke up and thought, "no more." I could no longer lament over the once occasional streaks of silver that were sprinkled within my tresses. They were now engaged in a hostile takeover, and I didn't have enough shares to stop it.

And to think, I once wanted to color my hair silver or platinum depending on which stylist you spoke to. I actually sat in a salon for hours as the hair colorist tried to lighten my dark hair enough in order to dye it silver. After several hours, the color wasn't taking, and I had to choose a new color. No, I needed to choose a new stylist.

Flash forward to right now. I have decided that I no longer want to be a slave to the salon or the box kit. The last thing I want is another thing to add to my to-do list. Sure, self-care is important, but that requires me doing something I enjoy, right? There is no allure to waiting an hour or two for the reveal, that spins around in the salon chair to face the mirror. It's either going to "whoa!" or "no!" I have experienced many "no" moments.

Now I embrace whatever my natural hair color is. Awaiting this reveal will be exciting as I witness the gradual change from brunette to silver. And I am finally OK with this. It's just another step in learning to love me for me. One way or another gray hair is going to happen, so why put off the inevitable? I can take the time and money that I would have spent at the salon (or CVS) and put that into things I enjoy…like buying books, pens, and traveler's notebooks and making "me time" more relaxing (no longer worrying about whether or not I will be done at the salon before having to pick up my boys). I am really looking forward to the next few years of growth (that's how long it takes, right?). Stay tuned.