21 Things I'm Grateful For As I Turn 21

21 Things I'm Grateful For As I Turn 21

21 is going to bring great things as it takes me into my senior year of college (yikes!).

142
https://unsplash.com/photos/tXz6g8JYYoI
Lidya Nada via Unsplash

I'm definitely not old enough to be twenty-one, but my parents tell me I am, so here's what I'm most grateful for.

1. My parents.

My parents are easily my greatest supporters, and I never knew how much I'd appreciate them until I went to college. They're always just one call away and are always there to help me with whatever problems arise. Their support and confidence in me has lifted me to be who I am and I'm blessed to have the parents I have.

2. My sister. 

Even though we go to different colleges and don't always get along, having a sister means always having someone to confide in, and I'm surely grateful for that.

3. My boyfriend and his family. 

I can't even put this one into words. I'm lucky enough to have found someone who makes me feel so valued and special and makes my life feel full and complete. Our weekends together are spent with endless laughter and singing along to Disney songs, and even better, a second family came with him.

4. Longwood University.

This university has brought me so much. From different learning opportunities to friendships and everything in between, I have been super blessed to be at a college that has me feeling so at home and so confident in myself.

5. The organizations I'm involved with on campus. 

I'm primarily involved with two organizations on campus and both have brought me friendships that'll go way beyond college and leadership opportunities that have helped shape me. I'm also super lucky that within these organizations, I get to do things I love!

6. My roommates. 

I don't know anybody who can make me laugh as hard as my roommates. I'm lucky, so lucky, to have an amazing group of girls I live with. Between family dinners, homework, movie nights, game nights, and decorating for Christmas, our tiny college apartment has turned into a home that I never want to leave.

7. My dog. 

He's crazy and absolutely hilarious, but the best cuddler on a cold night. Plus, he always lets me pick what show we watch.

8. My major (and everything that comes with it). 

Nobody quite understands what a major goes through unless they are in that major. Not to say any major is harder than the other, but this has been a demanding semester for my major in regards to where we are in our degree. Having such an awesome group of ladies to encourage each other and lean on has been huge. I always have someone to bounce ideas off of or confide in a problem I'm having. I also get to do things I love with my major and it's in an awesome community that I love.

9. The ability to work. 

I'm one of those individuals that cannot sit still. I'm a crappy binge watcher; I get through three or four episodes and I literally have to get up because I get so bored of sitting around. I've been lucky so far in my work life by having awesome work environments and coworkers. Working is something I truly enjoy and let's be real here, having spending money at college makes a big difference.

10. The ability to cook. 

I love cooking and I can't wait to do it for my family one day. One of my favorite ways to relax after a long week is to cook for my roommates and enjoy a nice, homemade meal together. Cooking and baking is just something so soothing and calming to me and I'm fortunate to have the ability not just to cook but to buy materials to do so and I'm so so grateful for that.

11. Chocolate. 

Need I say more?

12. Junk food. 

I wish I was one of those people who could dive into a big bowl of veggies and feel as satisfied as I do with a bag of chips but I just don't.

13. Weekends.

Weeks are so...long...in college. By the time the weekend rolls around, I am ready to stay in bed all day, play for the weekend work, and enjoy an easy-going morning of not having to get up and ready in 20 minutes.

14. Free time.

While there is my inability to sit still, free time is so nice lately. It's a rarity during the end of the semester but it's such a great feeling to know you have nothing coming up in that exact moment and you can just take a breath, take a longer shower, and regroup.

15. Netflix and Hulu.

Because how else would I catch up on all the shows I don't have time to watch during the week?

16. My beliefs and faith. 

Ever since my boyfriend got out on the road as a cop, leaning on my faith has become a morning ritual that carries me through the day. Every morning begins with a prayer to protect him and his colleagues and to bring him home to me because I'm just not ready to be without him yet. (Yes this may sound ridiculously dramatic to some, but he risks his life on the daily and it's constantly on my mind.)

17. Traveling.

Whether it's to visit my extended family or explore something new, traveling is something I love to do. Road trips, in particular, have a special place in my heart.

18. Fall weather. 

I hate to be hot. It is easily my #1 pet peeve and I can't stand it. Now that fall is in the air, I'm comfortable all the time and I'm living my best life in my vests, sweatshirts, and flannels.

19. The beach.

Another happy place of mine. Some of my favorite childhood memories took place at the beach and I absolutely love to sit on the beach with a good book in the sun. A calmness comes over me and I'm at my best in that moment.

20. Another year. 

I've been fortunate with my health (despite the never ending cold I've had twice this semester) and others are not as lucky. I've lost people and I've watched others lose loved ones, and I'm so grateful I still get to go on another year and learn and grow and see what the world has coming for me.

21. The future. 

I've always dreamt of having a family one day and it's something I really can't wait for. The future excites me. I love college and while I never want to leave Longwood or everything it has given me, I can't wait to begin the rest of my life post-college.

21 is going to bring great things as it takes me into my senior year of college (yikes!). I can't wait to see what's next in this story called life.