The Grass isn't Greener on the Other Side.

"Take care of the grass you already have."

79
PixelsTalk

Ever hear the saying, "The grass is greener on the other side?" Almost everyone's probably heard it at some point in their life. What I mean by some point is that they've probably heard it when something didn't go their way, therefore someone had to say something in order lift their spirits. It's a great gesture of hope and encouragement, so don't get me wrong, its intention is good. It gives us a sense of satisfaction in the thought of something more pleasing coming our way. We just have to be patient for it. Anyways, yes it's great and I bet it gave you a little hope, but I'm sure you never thought of it like this:

"The grass is greener on the other side" is complete and utter bull crap.

Now, don't take this as a negative connotation. I'm actually a very "the glass is half full" kind of girl, but I'm redirecting you towards a different way to take this saying more literally. Here's why I believe it is absolute nonsense:

We mope and wallow, drowning in our own misery while watching our grass become a dry brown and overpopulated with unwanted weeds. Then we compare it to our friend's grass and we only hope that our own grass will look like theirs someday without having to put in the work.

This saying makes us depend heavily on the thought of something better, which can be great too because we should be able to dream big. But we live on edge waiting for God to send us something amazing. It makes us lazy and ungrateful because we're not thankful for what we already have and we won't go out and do anything to make it better even if we're unsatisfied. We just hope and pray that God will magically do it for us without lifting a finger. It also deludes the fact that we're always going to want what we don't have, making us unsatisfied with the life we're already living. And THAT is a problem because God gave us a life worth living for, and we should forever be grateful for it no matter what circumstance. There is always something to be thankful for.

So instead of dwelling on the cliche "the grass is greener on the other side," change it to this: The grass is greener where you water it; Bloom where you're planted.

Look at your own lawn and don't compare it to anyone else's. Take care of the grass you already have. If it's brown, water it. If it's too long, trim it. Make it greener. Watch it flourish.

You could be failing a class, breaking up with your boyfriend/girlfriend, battling a severe illness, or going broke. But don't let those things destroy your every hope and dream of doing something more because someone said, "The grass is greener on the other side." Don't let it give you false hope in the idea of God doing all the work for you. He gave you life. He planted you here on this earth. You need to live it, and you need to take action and do what you're passionate about so you can take care of yourself and stop comparing whatever you don't have to what you already have. Therefore, don't wait for it to come to you because it never will come to you unless you seek it out and try.

So bloom where you're planted because the grass is greener where you water it. It always will be. Take it by Ecclesiastes 8:15:

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because there is nothing better for a person under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany them in their toil all the days of the life God has given them under the sun."