The Problem with the 2019 Grammys

The Problem with the 2019 Grammys

The Grammys was, yet again, an interesting night to say the least as the biggest night in music ended up with another year of upsetting wins and worrying nominations.

22
The Problem with the 2019 Grammys

First Off, Lets Start With Some Positives

While many wins were underwhelming, the Recording Academy's appreciation for Childish Gambino's "This Is America" does justice, as the song won "Record of the Year", "Song of the Year", "Best Music Video", and "Best Rap/Sung Performance". While the accompanying music video gives the best consumable take, the wins were very deserving and were the most qualified in every category. This can also be said for Ariana Grande's "Sweetener" winning "Best Pop Vocal Album" and "Boo'd Up" by Ella Mai nabbing "Best R&B Song".

Album of the Year??? Like... the WHOLE YEAR?

Don't get me wrong. "Golden Hour" is an awesome showcase of genre-bending and elegant country music, but Kacey Musgraves' win in the "Album of the Year" category stunned many, including those who'd never heard it, heard of it, or had heard it and were simply left with a warm reception. This award could've been given to Janelle Monae's beautiful project "Dirty Computer", which seemed to be the favorite by critics coming into the award show. Even the Black Panther soundtrack seemed more culturally relevant and powerful to win the award, but this pick, though understandable, was a very unexpected win.

Let's talk about Cardi B

Cardi B came out with an expectation shattering debut album in "Invasion of Privacy", showing a more intimate side of the usually larger than life diva rapper. Yet, the album receiving "Rap Album of the Year" was a controversial pick. The album is good as a whole, but faces inconsistency outside of the larger breakout hits such as "I Like It" and "Bodak Yellow". A better choice in most's opinion was Pusha T's "Daytona", which truly encapsulated a career and featured genius production from Kanye West. Cardi winning did give a stellar moment to the female artist community and was a good political move, so the pick is more digestible than most.

Justice?????.... JUSTICE?????

I'mma let you finish, but SOPHIE had one of the best albums of the year!!! Justice's "Woman Worldwide" won "Best Dance/Electronic Album" and I'm super pressed. The album is not inventive or groundbreaking in any way, a staple of good electronic music. SOPHIE's "Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides" was absolutely phenomenal, featuring incredible vocals and subwoofer-shattering basslines. This album deserved so much more y'all.

Beck is not that good.

"Colors" by Beck is not good. It really isn't. And it still won "Best Alternative Music Album". Mind you this is over Björk, Arctic Monkeys and St. Vincent. Ugh. Just ugh.

Wrap-Up

Other than a few minor categories and ties (I'm looking at you King's Dead. You know Bubblin' was a better song) the Grammys did a better job than usual with its picks, but this doesn't change their track record of not rewarding excellence, but rewarding the safest and most uniform picks every year. But Alicia Keys can come back. She was wonderful.