6 Grammar Mistakes You Make And How To Fix Them

You're welcome!

123

Finals week is coming up, as is the due dates for research papers, analyses, and essays. The bane of the college student’s existence, perhaps the trickiest part of paper writing is stewing over grammar errors. To save yourself from the stress, as well as red pen marks from your teacher, I have compiled a list of common grammar errors and how to fix them. (Obviously, there are many more grammar errors out there, so consult the internet or a grammar-savvy friend when in doubt.)

1. Comma splice

The most abused of the punctuation marks, the comma gets a bad rap. A comma splice occurs when two sentences are improperly joined together. Two sentences can only be joined together with a comma and a conjunction or a semicolon. Check for that, and you’ll know if you’re in the wrong.

Incorrect: I am writing an article for Odyssey, it is due in a few days.

Fixed: I am writing an article for Odyssey, and it is due in a few days. I am writing an article for Odyssey; it is due in a few days. I am writing an article for Odyssey. It is due in a few days.

2. Vague pronoun reference

This is literally the most confusing issue. It happens when a sentence contains so many pronouns that it is no longer clear what those pronouns are referring to. This can be fixed simply by replacing some pronouns with the things they are referring to.

Incorrect: They will edit the article before it is published for them to read.

Fixed: The editors will edit the article before it is published for everyone to read.

3. Passive voice

This is one of the hardest grammar errors to understand, and not all teachers are picky about it. A sentence is passive when the object of the sentence takes the place of the subject. In my example, it is not clear who submitted the article because the subject is completely missing. Passive voice can be fixed by adding the subject in if it is missing. It is also something that can be checked through Word’s grammar check.

Incorrect: The article was submitted.

Fixed: I submitted the article.

4. Possessive nouns

Someone told me recently that the apostrophes in possessive nouns are arbitrary because context clues should make it obvious if it is ownership or plural. I completely disagree, as will your professor. Without the apostrophe, it is unclear if the noun is plural or possessive. If the noun is singular and ends in “s,” the apostrophe goes after the “s.” If the noun is singular and does not end in “s,” the apostrophe goes before the “s.” If the noun is plural, the apostrophe goes after the “s.”

Incorrect: The writers stories are available on Odysseys’ website.

Fixed: The writers’ stories are available on Odyssey’s website.

5. Who vs. whom

This is a grammar error that is often ignored. In daily conversation, most people use the word “who” for everything, which is technically incorrect. “Who” is used for living subjects and “whom” is used for someone receiving something or on the receiving end of an action. “Whom” is also used as the object of a verb or preposition. An easy way to determine which word you need is the she/her test. If “she” makes sense in the sentence, you need “who.” If “her” makes sense, you need “whom.”

Incorrect: I should talk to who about my article? (“her” makes sense, and it is also the object of a preposition)

Fixed: I should talk to whom about my article?

Incorrect: Whom is the editor of Odyssey? (“she” makes sense)

Fixed: Who is the editor of Odyssey?

6. The “one” pronoun

Using the word “you” when referring to multiple people is acceptable in casual conversation, but looks improper in an essay. Whenever you find yourself using the word “you” or anything else referring to the general population, use “one” instead. You may also need to adjust other words to fit.

Incorrect: When you can’t think of an article idea, you should think about your hobbies and interests.

Fixed: When one can’t think of an article idea, one should think about his or her hobbies and interests.