You Get What You Give

You Get What You Give

Gossiping only spreads hate, creates fake friendships, and causes you to lose yourself.

162
You Get What You Give
Unsplash

Do we really get anything good out of gossiping? I get it; the act might feel amusing to an extent, but who does it really benefit?

Is gossip the root to your sense of humor, the main topic of your conversations with others?

As an observer, I have realized that people in social situations exchange juicy content all the time, in hopes to entertain one another or keep their friends intrigued. In result, this brings on laughter and, in the long run, manifests fake friendships.

At first glance, they might appear to be happy, but in reality, there's a missing piece. One does not feel good about themselves after having such an interaction. Even though it might seem like the most interesting topic at the time, the excitement is only temporary, while the impact could be damaging.

It's only human nature that our lives are not fulfilled unless we spread love, not rumors. By talking about other people's news that they confided in you with, or aren't aware that you know about their business, you are actually causing them harm as well as yourself.

Do you remember that game, called Telephone, that we used to play as kids? The last person unintentionally twisted up the original words. Well, gossiping causes the same results.

Gossiping has to be one of the easiest ways to get into a new friendship, only because it's an easy source of amusement. But after awhile, the only way to feed the relationship is to continue what you started.

It's like a drug.

The only way to find a genuine companionship is, to be honest with yourself. You get what you give.

You see, if you talk about others behind their back all the time, your peers will eventually lose trust in you. They might think that if you talk about others, you must talk about them as well. That's only logical.

Growing up in a small town, in which we referred to as Corn Town, gossiping was very much happening. I know from experience. I used to be caught up in the mix, losing touch with who I wanted to be and who I wanted to surround myself with.

As I matured, I lost the toxic friendships and found myself. I gained compassion and knew who I wanted to strive to be. I discovered that one of the keys to happiness is to stay true to yourself and to others. It's so important to be kind and to practice having empathy.

I faithfully avoid gossiping, knowing that it has the power to hurt others. Just imagine someone talking about you negatively, someone that you had faith in.

Now in college, I have gravitated towards those that also do their best not to judge others. It's a great feeling to have friendships based on positivity, trust, and support.

As an adult, I choose to listen more than I speak. You want others to feel comfortable and safe in your company.

You are given one life, so make it authentic.