Goodbye, Workplace Drama!

Goodbye, Workplace Drama!

Jealousy. Selfishness. Greed.

"It's a jungle out there," I've heard people say about the workplace. Take heart. With God on your side, you don't ever have to be a victim of workplace politics. (3-min read)

136
Goodbye, Workplace Drama!
Photo by mentatdgt from Pexels

Lately, I've been hearing many people bemoan the casualties they have suffered due to workplace "drama."

"It's even worse than the way office politics is depicted in movies!" one told me.

Maybe you're nodding your head. You've had your fair share of difficult people.

A new grad, I have not entered the working world yet. But I've taken this time to observe people who thrive at work and people who do not.

One thing I have learned is people who thrive do not have the perfect coworkers. In fact, one woman I know who just retired from a 40-year medical career at a top hospital faced harassment from multiple people within her department at one time.

However, this did not entitle her to gossip or retaliate.

As a Christian, she asked the Lord to help her forgive, continue doing good work, and move on.

By God's grace, she wasn't caught in what I like to call, "the death trap of cyclical thinking."

I have observed that people who do not thrive at work often get entangled in this trap once they become the target of another person's hate.

The cycle goes something like this:
First, they ask, "Why did they target me?"
Second, they justify themselves, "I don't deserve this because ______."
Thirdly, they conclude, "Since I don't deserve this, why would they do this to me?"

Thus, their thoughts return to square one.

The truth is, even if someone gave us the perfect answer to all our "why's," it would not take away the anger we feel. Knowing why may might even be more aggravating!

Work can already be challenging. Cycles of anger and resentment only serve to deplete us of precious energy.

Instead of rehashing the faults of others, why not pray this instead?

God, You see all. Everything belongs to You. Restore to me everything I have lost. I want work to be a joy so that I can bless others.

You know that this person is giving me difficulty. You created them with value and purpose. Bless them so that they bless others and live out Your plan for their lives.

Bring us peace. In Jesus' name, Amen.

If you're going back to work in "a jungle," let Jesus and His peace flood your heart today.

Let the past go. It's history. Keep moving forward!