Stress Free

Ancient Chinese philosopher and writer, Laozi was the founder of philosophical Taosim, a Chinese religious and philosophical tradition that emphasizes "compassion", "frugality", and "humility". I honestly do not much about Taoism, but become aware of this philosophy when I read a quote by Lao Tzu (Laozi): "If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu is considered a God in Taoism, and after reading that aforementioned quote, I can honestly see why. It is crazy to think that humans in the fifth and fourth century, when Lao Tzu wrote, are experiencing the same struggles and emotions that we are experiencing in the twenty-first century. I want readers to take a step back and reflect on this quote. Ready? Now let me explain...

Unfortunately, we live in a society where the mental health sector is growing more prevalent each and every day. While we cannot pinpoint an exact causation for the unfortunate stress put upon individuals, we can find a sort of remedy in Lao Tzu's quote. Lao Tzu asks us to live in the present. I am not to one to talk as each day I must constantly remind myself the importance and direness in living in the present. I do have regrets, and sometimes I do dwell on the past. I do have anxious moments, and I do recognize that this results in me thinking ahead. On the rare instances that I feel in utter peace, I am aware that it because I am living in the current moment. It is in the present that I find my bliss, my happy place and my inner love. Unfortunately, I rarely ever live in the present. But I do have to say that I am getting better as each day I make small improvements in order to attain self-improvement. Here are ten things that I hope to work on each day:

1. Mindfulness, meditation, breathing practices, progressive muscle relaxation and yoga.

2. Live with the 3 E's - Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.

3. Do not have negative thoughts.

4. Dream more while you are awake.

5. Smile and laugh more.

6. Each day give something good to others.

7. Slow down and embrace life.

8. Do not compare your life to other's and never judge.

9. Challenge yourself to control the things you can control.

10. Time and health are our most valuable assets.

I know it will not be easy. But I do know one thing for sure: it will be worth while.