Not Quite Good Enough

Not Quite Good Enough

24
Not Quite Good Enough

In today’s fast and growing social media society, people have begun to free their opinions and thoughts on many different matters. I love social media, and I believe it has the potential to truly expand our horizons and give depth to our lives. It provides a way for us to keep in touch with others and to learn about places and cultures we may never get to visit. However, when it is misused, it can harm people.

In earlier posts, I have spoken about the issues that arise in a young woman’s life due to the media and celebrities causing people to fantasize something they can never humanly accomplish without some form of Photoshop. This has affected even the way men look at women and how they feel about the women around them. For me, it has always been something I am aware of, and until recently, I had never been a victim of outright cruelty. I believe this is because I am a “pretty” girl in society’s standards. I am smart, humorous, and approachable. People are nice to me because I reciprocate that to them. I was always taught, “pretty is as pretty does,” and I have always done my best to follow that motto, except in the case where there was a most necessary, “Bless your heart,”

Last week, as I walked across the basketball court in my school's rec center, two boys (I say boys because a man would never do this) were staring at me. Of course my boyfriend caught a glimpse and just kind of saw them staring. When the two boys noticed him looking they said, “We don’t want your girl, she ain’t got no back.” Okay, so I don’t look like Kim K. AND??? I am a fit, healthy, beautiful girl, and because I don’t fit this fantasy type that people are now begging for, I am ridiculed. That statement hurt even though I have no desire to look like I have boulders in my pants. It still hurts to know that wherever you go someone is judging you. Someone is putting you down. Someone isn’t paying any mind to how you might feel if you heard them. I was upset and hurt, but I got over it.

Then today I got a notification on Instagram. The notification was a comment on a picture I had posted almost a year ago. It was from a boy, a boy I didn’t know. He must have been stalking my pictures pretty hard to go back almost a year and solely to leave this comment:

I’m sorry I AM NOT SORRY, not quite good enough for what? What am I missing? Am I too thin for you? Are my boobs not big enough? Is my nose too big? Is my smile a little crooked? Do my thumbs bother you? What am I not good enough for? Because I am more than good enough for ME. I am more than good enough for my boyfriend. I am more than good enough for my friends and family. You have never met me, you don’t know my favorite color, you don’t know what I do in my free time, you don’t know my personality, you don’t know me. So who are YOU to tell me I’m not quite good enough?

For those who are wondering what picture this was here it is:

What “c_trapp” doesn’t know is that this picture was taken on a Christmas vacation I took with my family. I had an amazing time and got to bond with my brother, my mom, and my dad. He also doesn’t know I spend free time volunteering to help people around me, I have created and implemented a “Share Thrills not Pills” campaign at local middle schools, I am a giver and always have been. So, SCREW YOU “c_trapp” and whatever it is I’m “Not quite good enough” for because if I’m not good enough for it I don’t want to be a part of it. Looks aren’t everything and I can promise you, you won’t get anywhere treating people this way.

If anyone is being nasty to you or your friends, my best advice is: ignore it. They don’t know you, do they? I always say, if you have a problem with me, give me a call. If you don’t have my number, you don’t know me well enough to have a problem. If you need help getting through a rut, you may feel free to talk to me. I’m always here for anyone, no matter what the problem is.

WE ARE ALL GOOD ENOUGH.