The Good, The Bad, The Halloween

The Good, The Bad, The Halloween

With Halloween upon us, it is time to go over some basics!

46
The Good, The Bad, The Halloween
flickr

Halloween is fast approaching with its cooling temperatures and the storage of candy. But with this most beloved holidays, there are a couple of Dos and Don’ts that need to be applied for anyone and everyone to enjoy this day.

Do: Be creative

You don’t need to stick with the cookie cutter angels or characters from a hit television show. While there is nothing wrong with it, Halloween is that time of year you should be able to go all out with your costume. While I was browsing the internet, I have seen DIY costumes of being a Sephora bag and several others that I wouldn’t expect. Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.

Don’t: Rely on cultural appropriation

I know that this is a tired out conversation and the discussion on whether it is appropriation or appreciate depends on the affected party, but it should be a good rule of thumb to not use costumes that have cultural significance as a Halloween outfit for a party you are attending. Native American headdresses are a common example of using a cultural item without permission. For many tribes, headdresses are used to honor their warriors, not as a headpiece for a victoria’s secret fashion show.

Do: Be sexy if you want

This is a conversation that has tapered off in years probably due to the rise of movements like “free the nipple” or “slut walks”; but if you are of legal age and you are comfortable in your own skin, feel free to do a sexy cosplay. Before the costume I was trying to do, I was going to be a sexy angel out of the fact that it looked cute and I like to show off my legs when I can. The same can be said for anyone else; as long as you are comfortable with the costume and it isn’t causing harm or offending others(see cultural appropriation or any variation of color-face) then go ahead and show some leg.

Don’t: Don’t harass people

With the recent news of sexual harassment, we need a reminder that it is never okay to harass people. Don’t harass people for religious reasons to celebrate or not celebrate Halloween. Don’t assault people because of their costumes. Don’t attempt to get handsy on someone just because they want to wear a “sexy” cosplay. Outfits are not consent. Respect religious decisions and if you think someone looks stupid, leave them alone.

Do: Group costumes

It is always fun to do costumes as a group or couple. It is an excellent way to bond with those you care for and keep yourself protected while going out because you will be with others. Not only that, but they can be creative in their designs or if you are a nerd and do conventions, they can be reused again if needed. Now there can be problems with these types of costumes. Sure, group costumes can make an area crowded and with couple costumes, they tend to be a bit obnoxious but it’s better than some of the alternatives mentioned before and after this point.

Don’t: Do any variation of color-face

It hasn’t been in the news much these days, but color-facing, the act of doing your makeup to look like a specific race, is still wrong and has a history in racism. Without getting into the extended history of color-facing (blackface and brownface are the most common but yellowface and redface still can happen), it is important to remind those donning costumes and cosplay that you should not be painting your face of a human skin color that isn’t yours. It isn’t the same as doing alien painting because as far as we know, they do not exist.

With this list in mind, have a safe and happy Halloween. Mind your own business, don’t be racist, don’t harass people and eat a bunch of candy. Now if you excuse me, I need to finish my Formation Beyonce costume for a party.