golden globes 2018/2019

A Recap In Case You Missed This Year's Golden Globes

For all you award season fanatics who don't actually have time to keep up with award season.

11

Award season marks the time for the crossover of fashion, television, music, and movies, with the buzz being everything from who wore what to who won what award. The Golden Globes sparked plenty of conversation this year, with surprising wins, inspiring speeches, and budding stars.

Overshadowing the heavily glorified "A Star Is Born," "Bohemian Rhapsody" was, in fact, the star that shined at the Globes. The film itself snagged the win for Best Drama Motion Picture, and its lead actor Rami Malek won for Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture. Queen members Roger Taylor and Brian May joined the cast at the award show, clearly proud of the movie that strived to be both a biography and celebration of the band and it's lead singer's life.

Sandra Oh joined Andy Samberg to host the night's events, with Sandra proceeding to walk away not just with the pride of having been a good hostess, but a golden statue for herself. Her win in the category of Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama, was for her performance in "Killing Eve," and during her acceptance speech her parents were shown in the audience, proud and overcome with joy.

Regina King's win for her performance in "If Beale Street Could Talk" evoked much excitement in the room, and her acceptance speech evoked support among viewers nationwide. Addressing gender inequalities in her speech, King promised, "In the next two years, everything that I produce and I am making a vow, and it's going to be tough to make sure that everything that I produce, that it's fifty percent women." During the speech and afterward, Twitter became a place of praise for King and her promise.

As for Lady Gaga, whose presence at the Globes was more than buzzed about, she still went home with an award for Best Original Song-Motion Picture, for her work on the hit song "Shallow."

The Golden Globes mark the beginning to award show season. The SAG Awards, Grammys, and Oscars are yet to follow, and one can bet that following them will be much more controversy and commotion.