9 Ways To Go Green For The Holidays

9 Ways To Go Green For The Holidays

Green life hacks on decorating, wrapping, and gifts.

8
9 Ways To Go Green For The Holidays

The planet's natural resources are depleting and yet we spend more money on things that we don't really have. The holidays shouldn't stop you from enjoying a shopping spree for yourself and your loved ones. However, some gifts and helpful wrapping tips will ensure you can still have an awesome holiday and help the planet in the process

1. Ditch the wrapping paper 

You can skip the wrapping paper. Not only is it a pain to work with, it's admired very briefly. Wrapping paper is torn apart and is useless. However, if you do decide to use it, seriously consider recycling it. Instead of wrapping paper, use a gift bag. Gift bags are reusable, so come next year not only will you not have to provide the gift wrapping it'll also reduce the need for other materials.

2. Shopping bags can go farther than shopping

If you're having trouble finding a large bag for a large gift, use a reusable shopping bag. These are a dollar at Wal - Mart, and it'll double up the gift.

3. Reusable Water Bottle

A stainless steel water bottle is a great green gift for the holiday. You can pick one of these up at any major grocery store or department store. No more plastic water bottles! Every time a steel water bottle is filled, that is one less plastic one floating in the ocean.

4. Recycled Backpack

It's not as bad as it sounds! Rareform backpack, which is made from recycled billboards. These are completely water resistant and get incredible reviews on their website. REI.com is where you can purchase one. These start at $63, but from what I have read, it is worth every penny.

5. Recycled Washcloths

Again, don't jump to conclusions. These aren't actually washcloths that other people have used. They are a pack of washcloths made completely from bamboo. Like it says in the name, Bamboo is the company. I found them on Amazon for $13.50. Again, wonderful reviews stating these are soft and durable. Who doesn't need more?

6. A gift that anyone will appreciate

I know growing up and getting socks as a gift was such a boring gift. As I've gotten older, I have seriously appreciated it so much more. I got a pair of these earlier this year as a birthday gift and stand by them. Eartheasy.com has an abundance of earth-friendly items, but these socks outshine their inventory. Cosmos recycled socks for only $16.95. I have had these for months now and they're still soft!

7. We all love them

The gift that as we get older we love more and more: candles. A pure beeswax candle. Now, I've seen a couple of different companies sell these. However, again with eartheasy.com, theirs smells the best and burns the longest. Plus, all the materials are all natural and chemical free.

8. Buy a fake

A fake tree! Another helpful hint is skipping the real tree. Every year thousands of trees are cut down to serve as a tree that will be tossed weeks later. Instead, buy a reusable one and treat it well. I've had the same tree for nearly a decade. It was a hand me down, and it'll continue to be one so long as I continue to take care of it. Remember, less of a demand for something, the less we use.

9. Limit your light use

When you do decorate your tree, use energy saving Christmas lights. Yes, these exist. They not only save energy for the planet, it saves money on your power bill. It also helps to purchase a timer for your lights, which are around twenty dollars at the store.

Happy Holidays! And remember, being festive doesn't have to be excessive.