Getting Back Together With Your Ex
Dating

Should You Go Back To Your Ex?

The inner conflict of wondering if you should go back to a previous relationship.

871
Should You Go Back To Your Ex?
https://unsplash.com/photos/FVRTLKgQ700

Every once in a while, people find themselves wondering if a break-up is really the end to a relationship.

When people form relationships they invest time, energy, and affection into someone, so it is not so simple to just walk away. You may even feel that you can't fully walk away at all. Emotions can be difficult to manage at times, so you may feel ambivalent that your relationship is over. You may be lost in your own head. In other words, you may be wondering: should you go back to your ex?

If your family and friends like your significant other, they may encourage you to reignite your relationship. It is not always easy to get those around you to become acclimated to a person you are involved with, so when a relationship withers like an old flower, it is not surprising that your loved ones may want to hold onto the petals. But do not forget you have the ultimate say. Your family and friends are not the ones that spend as much time with your ex the way you used to. It is up to you. Granted, you may value their opinion, but remember that it is just their opinion based on their experiences, not yours.

Some people also feel like they have given so much time to a relationship that it is not worth letting go. Constant demographic reports of the United States always show that people form new relationships at any age in life, so just because you have given time to one relationship does not impede you from giving time to another.

The type of relationship may be a factor to consider as well. Research suggest the more commitment in a relationship, the more difficult it is to sever. Therefore, a man is more likely to go back to his wife after a fallout than he would if she was just his girlfriend, hence why there is usually a period of separation before a divorce becomes official. Some people go back.

The cause of the break-up is also vital in deciding whether to mend ties or leave them severed. If unforgivable things occurred, according to your values and your commitment, then it may be best to leave things severed. On the other hand, if the dissolution was caused by something temporal or not lasting, then maybe things can be forgiven and ties can be mended.

Most importantly, do you still care deeply for this person? No one can truly turn their feelings on and off whenever they want to, so it is likely you still feel something for your ex, especially if you are wondering if you should go back. Through mindfulness and emotional regulation, you may be able to unpack whether those feelings warrant more attention. Those feelings may not ever really go away, but only you know if you need to nurture those feelings into a reconciliation.

Take your time, and process everything. And if your ex feels a similar way to how you are feeling, then they will understand.

Being in a relationship is a unanimous decision.

And eventually with all these factors considered, you will decide whether you should go back to your ex.

Be honest. Be real. Be yourself. And things will be how they should be.