So, God Told You To Wait? That's A Blessing, Even If You Don't See It At First

How could my God expect me to wait if he wants me to be happy?

781

When we're little, we're always reminded to be patient. Whether we're waiting in line for the bathroom or waiting for a sweet treat like candy or a juice pouch, an adult is always there over our shoulder uttering that 8-letter "P" word. Patience.

Unfortunately, however, struggling with patience is not limited to our childhood years. As I grew up, I found myself still agitated with the waiting game. I wanted friends now, I wanted a cute date to the dance now, I wanted the dream role or position on the team now, I wanted the great-schedule-great-pay job now, I wanted the A+ grade now.

Being a young woman of faith, of course, I prayed and begged God for the famed "contentment" stage. I prayed that things would fall into place and start to turn out in my favor.

But as we often hear in church, God answers prayers in three ways. God can say yes. God can say no when he has something better in mind. And sometimes, God can say not yet — He can tell us to wait.

I recently found myself thinking about how satisfied I am with my place in life right now. Of course, these things fluctuate in life. Right when you settle into such a desirable place in life, things switch up and get complicated again.

Just months ago, I was hurting. I was asking God to bring me peace. I prayed for an end to feeling uninvited and unloved by people. I was restless and longing for Him to lead me to new people that would make me feel included and wanted. I did not want to wait, and I was so impatient that I thought He just wasn't listening to me. I allowed my frustration to get in the way of my trust in Him.

He was listening. He was just telling me to wait. And because I was able to hold on and find patience when I put my trust in Him, the waiting turned into blessing. Things worked out for the best, as they always do according to His plan.

God telling us to "wait" means we have something much better in store for us that is His will.

His way is best, and His timing is perfect.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." — Psalm 17:14

When you're praying to God and it feels like He isn't listening, recognize when He may be telling you to wait. And when He is, wait patiently with courage and hope. Trust in Him, God's timing is perfect. He's got this. Everything works out for the best and you will be blessed.