God's Glorious Feet | Part Two

God's Glorious Feet | Part Two

A meditation on the beauty of my King

21
God's Glorious Feet | Part Two

I wrote this meditation over four years ago to share with a small group. I broke this lightly-revised piece into two articles, so read part one first if you missed it!

Though this article will read more as a devotional, the truths herein are powerful and timeless.

God's Feet are the Feet of the Gospel of Peace

Ephesians 6:15 directs that we are to stand in the armor of God with “…your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.”

If anyone ever had the armor of God, Christ certainly did! Listen to how Isaiah 52:7 describes Christ’s feet: “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!”

The feet of God have spared no effort in scaling every mountain to proclaim to Zion (who is figuratively God’s people Israel, and later becomes the Bride of Christ), “Thy God reigneth!” Glory to Him who sends His gospel into all the ends of the earth!

The Place of Pierced Feet

Psalm 22 prophesies the death of Christ in powerful detail, beginning with the cry, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Verse 16 continues, “For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.”

These are feet pierced in greatest love and sacrifice, and they are pierced to save His people. These are not the feet that were “taken” to the cross; they are feet that were given to the cross.

Jesus says in John 10:17-18, “Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.”

These are the feet that knew their path. They carried the gospel among the towns, hills, and mountains; and they did not hesitate to tread Golgotha’s path. O blessed feet of my Lord! Your beauty is only magnified by the mark where I may put my finger and know Thee at once!

The Father lovingly says of his beloved Son, “He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” (Isa. 53:11-12)

Feet Under Which All Things are Placed

1 Corinthians 15:27 says, “For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.”

This is the place of dominion and power! My Jesus deserves all things under His feet! But look at the next verse: “And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.”

Behold the Lamb; behold the King! Ever the Selfless One, Jesus reigns “till he hath put all enemies under his feet” (1 Cor. 15:25), but not so as to gain all power. Jesus’ end goal is still that the Father may be glorified. When He gains all rule, authority, and power, He lowers Himself beneath the Father and hands God the restored kingdom.

Jesus is not a dictator out for total control; He ever desires that the Father have all authority and be worshipped. Even enthroned in glory, there is no tainting of self in my perfect, humble, exalted Lord!