Giving Up Snapchat

Giving Up Snapchat

I gave up Snapchat for two weeks and learned the joy of being intentional

304
Giving Up Snapchat
Lutherwood

Everyday, I wake up and the first thing I do is grab my phone. It's not a conscious choice, it is wholly a habit. Despite having my notifications off, I still checked social media at least 25 times a day and I'm sure sometimes, even more. However, there is one app in particular, the only app I had notifications on for, that seemed to dominate my time on my phone. Snapchat.

Snapchat is awesome, I'm the first person to tell you that. It's a fun and easy way to communicate with all of your friends and even family. It's a quick way to update long-distance friendships on what's going on in your life. I used Snapchat to keep my best friend back home in the loop as to who I was hanging out with. While I was in Europe, I used Snapchat to keep in touch with my grandma.

Eventually, it became centered around keeping streaks, not being left on open and showing the world how much "fun" I was having through my stories. During winter break, I found myself constantly opening Snapchat because of the constant boredom.

Finally, I decided it was time to let it go.

I had wanted to delete Snapchat and all social media for quiet some time and I felt God was really placing it on my heart, but I wanted to be in the loop of what my friends were doing and God forbid I lose a streak. That's when I realized that I was compromising my own convictions for a number next to a person's name. How ridiculous is that? We've all been there. I know so many people who give their passwords out to a friend to do their streaks if they know they won't have data!

For two weeks, I decided to commit to no social media, including Snapchat.

Here's what I learned:

1. I had to be way more intentional about who I wanted to talk to. I realized there were several people I simply talked to to keep a streak. Actually texting someone to ask how they were was so much more personal.

2. I didn't realize how many times a day I reached for my phone to Snapchat someone something funny that had happened or a goofy picture. It was so weird at first to not have such quick access to send pictures or saving memories.

3. After a while, I started realizing I was living more in the moment instead of taking a picture of the moment to make a memory. I know that's super corny, but it is so true. I was so much more intentional with my time and interactions with people.

Did I decide to give up Snapchat for good after 2 weeks? No.

I'm back on Snapchat but it doesn't consume large portions of my time. I only watch stories that I care to see, I don't constantly reach for my phone to capture a moment and I don't even have the notifications on.

I've said I've been more intentional a lot and that's simply the biggest lesson I learned from taking a break from social media.

Live life more intentionally and stay present.

God's Blessings.