It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Giving is receiving

238
commons.wikimedia.org

Ah, Christmas, the time where college students go from broke to even more broke. But, it is all in the name of that holiday spirit and GIVING. Honestly, not to sound cliche or anything, but giving IS better than receiving.

As a child we all look forward to getting gifts. You're a kid, you don't really know how to give yet. You wake up at 6 in the morning, waiting for that appropriate 8am to hit so you can jump on your parents and your siblings, so you can get to ripping that wrapping paper apart. Christmas Eve was probably the least amount of sleep you got as a child. I personally was never able to sleep.

Nowadays, the arts and crafts that you used to do with everyone's named spelled backwards just isn't what you want to give anymore.

I still wake up with that excitement, but no so much because I am excited to see what I get, but to see the reaction to what I give to my family. I think they all feel the same way too based on our family groupchat blowing up about everyone saying how excited they are for when we open what they got us.

The meaning of Christmas changes as you grow up. It's in all the holiday movies, but you can't really wrap your head around that giving is better than receiving until you're mature. Home Alone teaches us to value family, Elf teaches us the true meaning of the Holiday spirit through family and friends, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas teaches us how even giving a little can go a long way. The messages are in the movies, the messages are all around you.

Gifts don't have to be expensive, it's definitely not about the monetary value. It's the effort. It's the thought you put into a gift that makes someone happy. People always say that but it's true. It's the memories that last a lifetime, not the expensive material item you think you have to get someone.

Christmas is easily my favorite holiday because very rarely is my entire family at one place at a time. With growing up, comes the elder sisters moving out of the house, me going to college, and my younger sister choosing her school withing the next half a year. Time goes by so fast. I think it is safe to say that Christmas not only brings everyone back together, but it also keeps us young.

From my family to yours, happy holidays readers!