3 Ways We All Should Be Giving Back This Thanksgiving

No one has the perfect life, but there is always something to be thankful for, and we should pause a moment to take in all that we have to be grateful for.

33

As soon as Halloween officially passes we begin to see Christmas lights and decorations go up everywhere. Not just around our homes, but in stores and around our differing cities as well. We see the banter and memes all over social media joking about skipping right to Christmas and we all chuckle to ourselves. I’m the first one to admit that I love Christmas, but why are we so eager to look past Thanksgiving and all that it symbolizes?

We grow up in school learning about the history of Thanksgiving, and how the delicious holiday came to be, but it seems like we forget the importance as we grow older. Thanksgiving started as a Harvest Fest between the Plymouth colonists and the Wampanoag Indians, and was later declared an official holiday by President Lincoln. Thanksgiving was supposed to be about giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest from the previous year. This holiday not only served as a time to sit back and show great thanks for their blessings, but it also served as a great way to bring family and friends together.

We can get so swept up in buying Halloween Costumes, making sure there is enough candy and going to all the crazy parties, that when Halloween has finally passed we then move onto Christmas doing the same things. We forget to take the month of November to be thankful for all of our blessings. No one has the perfect life, but there is always something to be thankful for, and we should pause a moment to take in all that we have to be grateful for. This November we should not only be reminded of the incredible people we have in our lives, but we should also take the opportunity to give back to those who may have a little less to be thankful for this season.

There are so many ways to give back to not only those who are less fortunate, but simple ways to give back to your community. Here are just a few examples:

1. Help the homeless population.

I had the privilege to spend part of last weekend in Washington D.C. and while every state has at least a small homeless population I noticed that Washington D.C.’s was quite big. I think this resonated with me a bit more because it is so cold there, and most of them don’t have a place to go when temperatures begin dropping. I know it can be a struggle to want to give cash to those you see asking for money. You’re worried they are just going to spend it on alcohol or drugs, instead of things that may serve them better, but that’s not always true, and you don’t know their story. We will never know what that money is used for, but we can make the decision to do the right thing. Skip that Starbucks Coffee and give that extra five dollars to someone in need. Better yet, keep some granola bars and bottled water in your car, so when you do see a homeless person you can provide them with something they truly need.

2. Do some community outreach.

There are so many easy ways to get involved in your community. It’s as easy as googling places to volunteer near your town. There are always several places that host a Thanksgiving Dinner for those who cannot afford their own, and they are always needing volunteers. I have the privilege of living in Florida so it doesn’t get too cold here, but maybe you live in a place where the weather gets pretty cold during this time of year, and you could organize a coat drive for the homeless community, or even those that just cannot afford a new coat, but desperately need one. Think outside the box and step up this Thanksgiving season. Another option is being a part of a food drive. Although you can easily pick up a few extra things at the grocery store, I encourage you to look for a place to dive in and truly get your hands dirty this year.

3. Just be genuine.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized just how important being a genuine person and friend truly is. If you do decide to volunteer or organize an event to serve and give back to your community, be genuine in creating a conversation with the people you meet. Take time to talk with them and learn their stories. Truly take in the experience, and don’t just do it for the Facebook story. It’s crazy what one simple, but genuine conversation, can do for a persons outlook on life.

We are so fortunate, and I believe we often take that for granted, myself included. This Thanksgiving, take some time to make your family feel extra loved and appreciated, and then give back to those less fortunate.

"A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal."

-Steve Maraboli

Happy Thanksgiving!