Give Poetry A Second Chance By Reading Rupi Kaur's "Milk And Honey"

You will not regret it.

I never used to be a fan of poetry. In English class, it was always something I dreaded going over. I never understood it, and I hated studying stanza after stanza trying to find out what the author of the poem really meant. However, about four months ago my perspective changed.

I was scrolling through Twitter like usual, and I came across a post with a couple pictures of pages from a book. I viewed them not thinking much of it, and to my surprise, I found myself completely in love with the passages. I read them over and over, and almost immediately researched them to find the name of the book.

The book was called "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur.

Since purchasing her book, I have read it cover to cover at least fifteen times. I have sent specific poems to friends and urged all of my friends and family to buy her book as well. Yes, it is really that good.

Here is why:

For starters, the author of this piece of literature is a woman from Toronto. She writes about loss, heartbreak, love, femininity, and the art of moving on.

Her writing is raw, gut-wrenching, and easy to follow. There are no any hidden meanings in her poems. You do not have to search for the message. She states her opinion boldly, and with force.

Not only does she write amazing poems, but she incorporates her own artwork into the book as well.

The best part of the book is how she arranged the poems. There are four chapters: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing.

The hurting section of this book shines a light on childhood struggle, sexual assault issues, toxic relationships, and feminism ideals.

The loving section of this book discusses motherhood, relationships, and human sexuality.

The breaking section of this book talks about heartbreak, bad relationships, and inner struggles.

The healing section of this book focuses on moving on, self-love, strength, and falling in love again after experiencing loss.

In her book, you can always find something that will relate to your situation, and with how the book is set up, it makes it easy to find just that. You just select the chapter you want and read from there.

All of her poems are written eloquently and with passion. They punch you in the stomach whilst comforting you at the same time. She makes no apologies for her ideals, and she does not hold back from sharing her stories in hopes of helping others.

Everyone should read this book because I really believe you will fall in love with it just like I did.

I never gave poetry a second glance, and after reading this I have been finding myself writing my own.

"You tell me to quiet down because my opinions make me less beautiful, but I was not made with a fire in my belly so I could be put out. I was not made with a lightness on my tongue so I could be easy to swallow. I was made heavy, half blade and half silk, difficult to forget and not easy for the mind to swallow." - Rupi Kaur