Flipping Your Christmas Tree Upside Down Is The Best Trend This Season

With this trend your options for decorating your tree are literally endless.

271

Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. I love the entire feel of the holiday. The weather starts cooling down. People adorn their houses with beautiful twinkling lights, inflatable Santas, wreaths and whatever creative thing they can come up with.

The excitement of grabbing your presents and tearing them open. Being surrounded by your loved ones. Wearing your most comfortable pajamas and cuddling up to watch all the Christmas movies.

One of the most fun parts is decorating the Christmas tree. There is an endless amount of ways you could decorate your tree. You could do a tree with completely white lights, an assortment of colorful ornaments and a sparkling star up at the top. You could do what one of my friends do and have a Disney-inspired tree. The possibilities are literally endless.

Well, it seems more and more people in America are doing something completely different with their Christmas tree.

They are opting to flip their trees upside down this Christmas holiday.

Of course, social media helped this trend absolutely take off. Instagram alone has more than three thousand posts with the hashtag #UpsidedownChristmasTree. People everywhere posted upside down trees in stores, hotels or even in their own homes. You can either hang the tree from your ceiling or some stores have even started selling artificial trees that come upside down.

Westfield Shopping Centre in San Francisco debuted a 50-foot-tall and 30-foot-wide upside-down chandelier-like tree inside the mall's signature dome last Christmas and has plans on bringing it back this Christmas.

According to the mall, the tree is the most "Instagrammable feature in San Francisco."

Some say this is good if you have children or pets that find themselves under the tree. Others say it gives their Christmas a new look. This trend may look like some crazy new thing we came up with. But, this trend is anything but new. The inverted Christmas tree actually has deep roots in history and religion.

According to The Spruce, a home decorating website, the inverted tree comes from Europe. This dates back to the Middle Ages where Europeans would hang their fir trees upside down to represent the Holy Trinity.

Of course, with every trend come people that have strong negative opinions to express. Some feel the upside down tree is disrespectful of the holiday.

The debate even took a political turn when Fox News discussed it. During their segment "Fox and Friends," host Pete Hegseth discussed the new trend and asked Corey Lewandowski, the former campaign manager to Donald Trump, how he felt.

He first said he had no idea what the whole trend was even about. Then, he used the trend as a way to attack the Democrats. He said:

"It’s like an upside-down world. It’s like "Seinfeld," the bizarro world. Like you can be a U.S. senator after groping people on a picture and nobody has any accountability for it,” he said. “That’s what the upside-down Christmas tree means to me. I mean, it’s everything that is wrong."

He finished off by saying that Trump and his family would be keeping the tree in the White House right side up because they "appreciate the country's traditions."

Retailers have also jumped on this trend and took advantage of its popularity. Walmart had a champagne-colored tree for $250, Kohls had a pre-lit, seven-foot-tall upside down tree for $450 and Home Depot had a seven-foot-three tree for $199. Target came in at the most expensive of this bunch. Their upside-down trees came in at over $1,000.

Christmas tree decorations can definitely be whatever your mind can come up with.