When You Give A Girl A Sister

When You Give A Girl A Sister

She is my built-in best friend from the Lord.

129

She is my answered prayer, but I began as hers, literally. She prayed for me in the bathtub at the age of 7 years old, and she specifically asked God for a baby sister. A majority of our family thought that I was a boy, but the Lord and Rebekah had other plans. From the beginning, we were meant to be together.

She is 7 years older than me, but the average person cannot tell that by the way we act together. We laugh, scream, and talk a little (maybe a lot) too loud. She holds the key to my heart.

Today, we were on the phone and I cried to her. I did not cry tears of sadness, but of pure joy. I cried because we were talking about all of our plans for the weekend and a possible hike on Monday after my first final. It is conversations like those that remind me of where I came from and why I never want to forget my roots.

I grew up in a very close family, and my sister and I are the epitome of close. She knows exactly when to call me or just come over to cheer me up. She is the first person I call when anything happens, whether it is good or bad. She is my true bestie.

We no longer live in the same house as each other, but distance makes these hearts grow fonder. Each time we get to see each other is like the first time, but it always gets better.

We normally don't go a long time without each other, but if I'm being honest, sometimes it feels like FOREVER. We may grow up, move, get married, have nieces and nephews for each other, but we will always be sisters first (this is a reference to a book that she gave me a while back as a Christmas gift about our favorite set of sister).

Rebekah, I love you more than you could ever know. You have gotten married and left the nest, but my love for you as my sister will never leave, but instead, it will always grow. I cannot wait to see you soon (probably tomorrow, actually).