Why Every Girl Needs A Girl Gang

To All The Gals Who Don't Have A Girl Gang, It's Time To Find One

You need one.

4803

Alright girls, I'm not going to pretend I have all of my shit together, or that I know what I'm doing. I'm also not the girl who knows everything or always has an answer. But, if there is one thing I do know, and that has been made abundantly clear to me, especially after this year transitioning to college — it's that I wouldn't have made it this far without my best friends.

I've had the same group of girl friends since freshman year of high school, with the exception of a few amicable partings and some deserving additions. Although being a tight-knit group of pre-teen girls has presented some challenges, namely, finding a new group at school that can compare to one I have been fortunate enough to surround myself with for a good part of my life, these girls have shaped me into the woman I am today.

So here is why YOU need a girl gang. Acts of girls supporting girls are some of the most powerful and empowering moments that I have experienced. Surrounding myself with strong women role models have always helped me to succeed. From a young age, having someone believe in me and someone that inspires me has always been part of my motivation. Now, with us all at school, I get to be inspired by girls my age, doing big things, things that matter every day.

You need a girl gang, so that you can have a group chat where you build each other up — where you can send you accomplishments like "I just ran my PR," "I got the nanny job I was hoping for," or even the little things like "I got a B on that test I totally thought I failed."

Moments like these teach me to be happy for others, even when things may not be going so well. They push me to strive for the same excellence I get to watch my friends achieve. And they give me something to look forward to. When I get that promotion my girl gang is always the first to know and within what always seems like an instant they're hyping me up no matter how big or how small my accomplishment, and that pushes me to try and do better.

On the other hand, they're also my rock. And who doesn't need a rock? I mean seriously. Getting through a breakup without these girls? I couldn't even imagine. Having a strong support system that you know you can fall back on no matter what lifts you up like nothing else. No matter what, I know I'll be ok because I know my girls have got me; and that has given me so much strength and courage and allowed me to try things, take risks, and bounce back when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

My girl gang makes me resilient, powerful, and unstoppable — feelings I think everyone deserves.

Besides being my source of girl power and absolute feminist hype squad, they're my family. We know each other like no other and especially as an only child, that's something I value. We bicker and even fight, but we laugh and make memories, and at the end of the day I know they'll be there through thick and thin, no matter what.

So go and get yourself a girl gang.

It might not be easy, and you might try and fail with a couple or even many groups before finding your place. And maybe it isn't for you (that's ok too!) But once you do have your girls, you'll have each other forever, no matter how far away your schools are, or how long you go without talking, or if you move away from home, best friends are forever.

Shout out - Honey Dips