To The Girl Who Feels Like She's Drowning, Trust Me, Just Keep Swimming

Every girl goes through the ups and downs, it's a part of life.

1760

Growing up, I was surrounded by powerful women, my Tia and Nana. They both always taught me that no matter what life will go on and there's nothing you can simply do about it.

Of course the younger I was the more I believed it cause all I had were simpler problems. Like learning how to ride my bike or trying new foods.

As I got older and into my teenage years, I started to doubt their truths. I had felt that the whole world was against me and that I couldn't do anything right. I didn't get the ACT scores I wanted, I didn't get into the college of my dreams, but then I realized, life isn't about those simple things.

It is about learning who you are and how you are going to grow as a person. Of course, I went through what most girls go through, heartbreak, loss of friendships, feeling that I wasn't enough to my parents. At the time it felt like my world was going to shatter, but guess what? It didn't.

I'm here today living the best life I possibly could and I couldn't be any happier right at this moment.

Every teenage girl goes through this and feels that there was no end. Let me tell you, it will get better and you will forget about those hiccups in life because you will later realize that they were nothing as compared to life's bigger problems that will be thrown at you.

Now in college, I have realized that those problems were so small. Yes, I still stress about school about my GPA and grad school applications, but I do know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (as cliche as that sounds).

There are times where I feel like I am drowning all over again, but then I go to the things that make me happy and that is making time for myself.

Like going to the gym, yoga, and just getting out. Giving yourself time to take a breather is essential to feel like that everything is going to be OK.

It wasn't overnight that I was able to embrace the art of letting things go. I learned that either way if what happened or what I have been through I learned that I have my own good qualities that I figured out that make me the person who I am. Luckily, I had good positive role models that I was able to go to and ask for advice. There were nights where I cried to my Tia about boys or feeling that I wasn't doing well with my life or school.

As a young girl who lives in today's society, you feel that you are drowning and it is difficult to come up for air due to social media and what society, in general, expects of what you should be and how well you should perform.

Just know it is possible to get out and when you do it is the best feelings when you realize everything is going to be OK.

Nothing lasts forever and we need to realize that. You can look up all the inspirational quotes and all the youtube videos you want, but they won't be effective until you see the bright side within yourself.

Just remember to just keep swimming.

Giphy.com