Girl, Wear Those Leggings

Girl, Wear Those Leggings, No Matter What A Random Mom At Notre Dame Says

You should wear what makes you comfortable.

62

A mother of a Notre Dame student wrote the school asking for a ban on leggings at the university. She asks girls to think of her four boys before getting dressed because they "can't control themselves."

First, if your four boys can't control themselves around girls who are fully covered in leggings, you may have not taught them self-control. Saying this seems as though you have given your boys everything they have asked for the moment they did, which obviously doesn't translate to the real world.

Second, this is influencing rape culture. The idea that what a girl wears should reflect the amount of self-control a guy has is an often-forgotten but definitely important part of this system. No girl wears leggings as a statement saying they want a boy to lose control. Guaranteed, she wants to be comfortable as she sits in classes all day and walks across campus.

Honestly, if my university tried to control what I can and cannot wear to class, I would consider transferring. Women should have the ability to wear what they choose just as much as men do.

"Leggings are so naked, so form fitting, so exposing. Could you think of the mothers of sons the next time you go shopping and consider choosing jeans instead?" the mom said in the letter. "Let Notre Dame girls be the first to turn their backs(ides) on leggings."

However, I am 100 percent sure that I can find jeans that show more than a pair of leggings and are just as tight. Has this mom not seen some of the jean choices these days? Also, I have seen multiple men on my campus without shirts on. Should they consider other's daughters, wives, and sisters when they choose to do this?

Regardless, if a girl wants to wear tight clothing and that's what makes her comfortable, she should do it. No mother of another student should tell her what she can or cannot wear.

As a female, I will continue to wear leggings to class because I want to. So, girl, if you want to wear those leggings, do it. If you want to wear jeans every day, do that.

You're in college for the education, not to be concerned with what you wear, and everyone should remember that.