To The Girl Who Is Always On Top Of Everything

It's OK to slow down

17
Kelsey Simeone

To the girl who is always on top of everything,

You always have your perfect schedule mapped out (and sometimes color coordinated). You started that paper that's due next week yesterday. You have near-flawless grades and are involved in so many different things on campus. You seem perfect on the outside, but you're kinda dying on the inside, and that's OK.

I'm writing to tell you that even though you may think that you always have to be on top of everything because that is what is now expected of you, you don't have to be. You don't have to start every assignment early, you don't have to to know what you're doing tomorrow, next week and certainly not next year, but most importantly, you don't have to have everything figured out.

I'm writing to tell you that it's OK to not have everything planned out to a T. You rely on your planner like it's a life preserver, and that's definitely not a bad thing, but it's perfectly fine to start a day unplanned. You don't have to have every single part of your day, including your shower, scheduled to a specific time. After all, they say that the best comes at the most unexpected times, so live on the wild side and don't use your planner for one day.

I'm writing to tell you that you don't always have to focus on the future. You just started college a year ago and you're already thinking about where you're going to apply for grad school. Slow down! Enjoy this time you have as a college student with your friends. Make the most out of all aspects of school, not just the academic part. And certainly don't wish these years away, they're going faster than you think. These are supposed to be the best four years of your life, don't let them pass you by too quickly.

Remember this: enjoy today. Enjoy the laughs you have with your friends in the dining hall. Enjoy the way your hair came out today. Enjoy the smallest little thing that made you laugh or smile. Enjoy right now. You may always have it all planned out, but plans can change unexpectedly. It is important to stay on top of things and not fall behind, but don't get so far ahead of yourself that you forget to enjoy what is going on right now. Keep doing what you're doing, but slow down a little bit. It's OK to slow down.