4 Things To Know About Pomkies Before You Get One

A Pomsky brings joy into households and is a great cuddle partner.

1005
Genesis Tirado

As dog lovers we tend to swoon at the sight of a Husky’s beautiful eyes and smile at a Pomeranian's adorableness. Recently these two beautiful breeds have been mixed together and the result is a dog lover’s greatest weakness, a Pomsky. Being a fairly new breed there are things still not certain when talking about Pomskies such as their size and weight and others that have been constant among them such as energy levels and intelligence.

Generally speaking Pomskies are friendly, energetic, curious and incredibly adorable. The mix in characteristics not only results in beautiful puppies that will grow into stunning dogs, but also in their personality which creates a well-blended mix of two very different breeds. Pomskies are great companions for homes with children, elderly, singles and young couples. They are also great for houses, apartments as these guys can adapt to many environments and make friends wherever they go. If you are actively looking to add a new furry member into your family and/or never had a pet before a Pomsky is the best choice.

1. It's all about the size.

A Pomsky’s size and weight varies greatly and depends on different factors such as the generation and how much of each breed, Pomeranian/Siberian Husky, is in the new puppy. There are many generations of Pomskies, starting with the original mix of a Pomeranian and Husky, the result will vary depending on the size of the Husky mom and other genes. It is a common misconception that all Pomskies will remain small and look like a miniature Husky. In some cases this might be true, but don’t bet on it as there are some that can be as big as a regular Siberian Husky and only carry some Pomeranian features such as all the fur. Other generations might have different results such as a 25/75 mix where a Pomsky is mixed with a Pomeranian ensuring a smaller size, but less Husky characteristics. Lastly, a mix of two Pomskies will result in small size and a possible mix of both characteristics. Size is important when choosing a new pet and having varieties on different sizes in the same breed can have is a huge advantage when making a decision. It is also helpful to know when living in apartments with a weight limit for pets as Pomskies tend to weight 10-15 pounds on average.

2. A Pomsky's personality is quite amusing.

Families will love having a Pomsky in their home for many reasons. They are smart and easily trained, they respond well to positive reinforcement and will answer to commands easily. Their high energy levels are great for children as they will happily spend an entire day playing and running around just for fun. They can also be passive and enjoy a relaxing day with their family making them great companions for the elderly. They get along with other breeds and enjoy play time with other dogs whether they previously knew them or just met. They are highly intelligent dogs and will memorize routines around the house and other important things such as where the treats are kept and where the leash is.

3. What to feed your Pomsky?

All that running and playing leaves our Pomskies incredibly hungry so it is recommended they be fed a high quality dry kibble food of your choice. However, most Pomskies have a delicate digestive system and so it also recommended to avoid foods containing meat by products and rawhide.

4. Understand your Pomsky's fur.

A Pomsky’s fur will also vary depending on his lineage and DNA. Some might have short fur while others will have longer fur. Pomskies do shed a lot especially during the changes of season and it is highly recommended they be brushed at least a couple of times a day to keep the coat healthy and untangled. Due to their double-coated fur, Pomskies will also enjoy the colder temperatures.

Pomskies make great friends, they are loyal, funny, smart and beautiful. They love to travel, especially road trips and will always bring comfort whenever you need it. They may still be a rare and new breed, but Pomskies are real and once they are a part of your family they will cuddle up in your hearts forever.