To The Boy Who Treated Me Like A Back-up Plan

Your loss, buddy.

146
Photo by mikoto.raw from Pexels

Breakups suck, but when you don't have to do it alone it's not as bad. However, if you choose to pick up the pieces with someone who is maybe a little more than a friend, it can be hard and confusing. What's even MORE confusing is when you're both trying to heal.

We would hang out, like a lot. We talked all the time, facetimed at night, and we were always there for each other. We made long drives to visit each other, and I guess I started to fall for him. He didn't feel the same in the end, I guess. And I'm okay with that now, but I wasn't for a while.

He started talking to a new girl, which was pretty common during the time we spent "talking", and I wasn't sure it was going anywhere. He always got a little distant, but it was never serious. But this time, it was like night and day. I would get "streaks" and little to nothing else. He tried to stay a good friend and call to "check" on me, but it was always late, when your new girlfriend had already gone to bed. We went from talking 24/7 to hardly anything.

I was hurt. I always felt like I was a second choice for him. His fall back in case his new Tinder find didn't work out and for a while I went with it because it didn't feel like anything special. But then I started to fall for him, and he went a different way. I miss hanging out like we used to (as friends, you know), but I realize we might not be able to go back to that, and that's okay. I still care, but I'm glad we both moved on. I also learned that I should always feel like a priority. I shouldn't feel that pit in my stomach wondering how you feel.

So, thank you, I guess, for the lesson. I'm not happy you hurt my heart. I hope she makes you happy, because I know I'm way happier where I am now than I thought I was back then.