Getting Honest About the Election and How To Cope
Politics

Food for thought about the election results, and how we've been coping...

14

It would a lie for me to tell you that the Presidential election results didn't kick my ass. It's been several days since the big night, but I'm still at a loss for words. As the past few days have felt like a dream, I still haven't fully woken up yet.

I don't care to go argue about politics or the election or what could've been, because this is our new reality regardless of whether or not we want to accept it. I do not agree with the results, as they disturb and frustrate me to no end, but I can't change it, and neither can you. The things we can do now are to try our best to find peace in something (anything), try to make sense of what's been handed to us, and keep moving forward.

The sun will come up tomorrow and we will eventually be okay. Please remember that people are feeling marginalized, sad, and fearful for themselves, for loved ones, and for others who are feeling belittled. Be mindful, and be aware that people are hurting. Be there for the people who need it right now - regardless of anything else, love wins, and that is what's crucial today.

The air at the school I attend is heavy. I am surrounded by my open minded peers who feel passionately, personally, and deeply about the election, and to say that this hasn't directly affected my campus community would be an understatement. So, we've all been taking these past few days a bit harder than usual. Here are a few things you can try to keep you busy and to help you cope...

1. Listen to A Tribe Called Quest's newest album....over and over and over again. Ya, it's that good, and it'll make you think. It features a handful of incredible contributors like Kendrick Lamar, Busta Rhymes, and Kanye West, just to mention a few. It will not disappoint.

2. You could watch copious episodes of Gilmore Girls (more episodes than you'd like to admit to watching)...As an adult who had never watched an episode until about a month ago, my inner high school teen girl is slightly hurt I never bothered to watch when I was younger. However, currently I can appreciate all plot lines as an adult, so maybe it's good that I waited this long...

3. Or, if you're up for something a bit heavier, instead of getting your mind blown by the election results, watch Black Mirror. If you haven't watched before, buckle in and hunker down. The show explores technology and paranoia, and the idea of the two together in what could be the not so distant future. Do it, it's crazy enough to make you question everything, and so incredibly amazing at the same time.

4. Get busy. If this doesn't sit with you, do something about it. Get involved with Planned Parenthood, donate to Planned Parenthood, attend a rally and show your solidarity with hundreds of other people, speak up, but also listen. You don't have to agree with everyone's opinions, but everyone is allowed to feel the way they do, and you are, too. Be open to having conversations and be okay that not everyone will feel the same way you do (that's just life).

5. Check in with yourself to see how you're doing...how you're really doing. Allow yourself to feel everything you do right now. It's good to check in with how you and your mind are handling things so you can deal with it and do something about it. Personally, things didn't really hit me until the morning after when I found myself in tears after reading countless posts my close friends we're making on FaceBook and Twitter. Give yourself the time you need to process however you feel.

6. Get rid of the social media apps on your phone.

Seriously.

Give yourself a break. If you're constantly infuriated every time you check your phone when you're bored, limit when you check things to only when you're on your computer (or something reasonable that works for you). While you're at it, unfollow the people who are ticking you off endlessly right now, because it's not worth the frustration you feel when you go to check things out.

Be kind, be compassionate. Lend an ear, be a friend, and love, it's all people need right now.