Get Educated on Racial Inequity

Get Educated on Racial Inequity

35 things to read

54
Get Educated on Racial Inequity
BlackLivesMatter.com

As a white person, there are many things you can do to help further the BLM movement. Although, I feel that one of the most important things we can do is educate ourselves. Here is a list of works you should read to educate yourself on racial inequality.

1) "So You Want to Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo

2) "How to Be an Antiracist" by Ibram X. Kendi

3) "Thinking About Race" by Naomi Zack

4) "American Poets For My Past and Future Assassin" by Terrance Hayes

5) "Me and White Supremacy" by Layla F. Saad

6) "Black Feminist Thought" by Patricia Hill Collins

7) "Heavy: An American Memoir" by Kiese Laymon

8) "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas

9) "Dear Martin" by Nic Stone

10) "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou

11) "White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism" by Robin DiAngelo

12) "Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates

13) "Beloved" by Toni Morrison

14) "The Color of Law" by Richard Rothstein

15) "Women, Race, and Class" by Angela Y. Davis

16) "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration In The Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander

17) "Six Ways Asian-Americans Can Tackle Anti-Blackness in Their Families" by Kim Tran

18) "Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race" by Reni Eddo-Lodge

19) "Divided Sisters" by Midge Wilson and Kathy Russell

20) "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison

21) "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston

22) "They Can't Kill Us All" by Wesley Lowery

23) "Fatal Invention" by Dorothy Roberts

24) "Locking Up Our Own" by James Forman

25) "The Miner's Canary" by Lani Guiner and Gerald Torres

26) "The Wretched of the Earth" by Frantz Fanon

27) "Racism without Racists: Colorblind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States" by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva

28) "Two Faced Racism: Whites in the Backstage and Frontstage" by Leslie Picca and Joe Feagin

29) "How to Be Less Stupid About Race: On Racism, White Supremacy and the Racial Divide" by Crystal Fleming

30) "The Ethnic Project: Transforming Racial Fiction into Ethnic Factions" by Vilna Bashi Treitler

31) "Race and Racisms: A Critical Approach" by Tanya Golash Boza

32) "Racist America: Roots, Current Realities, and Future Reparations" by Joe Feagin

33) "White Rage; the Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide" by Carol Anderson

34) "Black Americans" by Alphonso Pinkney

35) "Black Wealth/White Wealth" by Melvin Oliver and Thomas Shapiro