What A Fur Baby Means To Me

What A Fur Baby Means To Me

Does this make me Charlie Brown?

30
What A Fur Baby Means To Me
Mario Castelli

To the newest member of the family,

For the longest time, I've always loved animals and wanted a little furball to take care of. Different from most, there was a strong affinity for nature and a specific respect-entangled understanding of these beautiful creatures that we have the privilege of sharing this planet with. Fast forwarding years later, the opportunity knocked on our door and presented an adorable puppy we named Luca--the runt of the lot but the cutest Beagle I've ever seen. One routine weekend trip to Pennsylvania and a strong intent of adopting we've checked out a farm from a list of inquired locations and instantly fell in love with Luca. He was and still is full of mischief, easily noticeable from the start as he repeatedly ran into the muddy puddles with his brothers and waved an old rag like a banner of freedom. This moment was indescribable. Both pinch-worthy and a bit sad as taking him home meant severing him from his family; giving one up for another.

Continuing, this fundamental lifestyle change struck that innate parental side that friends usually labeled, upon leaving with him and getting the necessities for his general care. The magic was still there, but reality kicked in and settled like cement for the laborious task now sitting upon my shoulders, such as getting him comfortable with us and parenting him as he grows up to be a high-class Beagle of society. This gentleman in-training was a pack of nerves at first but his nights have gotten better and slowly getting accustomed to his nightly routine. Additionally, and probably the most crucial thing obtained from this experience as a whole is not to take life too seriously and to enjoy the journey that much more; it's easy to acknowledge, but a ball of fur encompasses the concept that much more.

P.S.

What I've learned from these experiences so far is how much beauty there is in life, hiding from sight and the importance of parenthood—one merely needs to stop and listen. Moreover, one of the greatest feelings is coming home and having Luca ecstatically run me over and climb over me as I let him out. It's all the clearer that a pet is a portion of your life, while you are their entire life.

Signed a happy pet owner,

Mario Castelli