As We Near The Holiday Season, Please Remember To Tip Your Servers Well

From your friendly server...

73
https://unsplash.com/photos/-rF4kuvgHhU

I would like to warn you all that this article is going to be something of the sorts to "remember to tip your server," but I just need to get some information out, so please follow through.

I have been a server for a little over a year now. I have had days of very good tips and I have had days where I just want to cry and all hope for humanity goes out the window. I get it, everybody struggles and I will tell you that if you cannot make a living, then please do not go out to a restaurant and not tip your server a decent amount without them being angry with you.

I worked one of those shifts last week where my sales were near $500, BUT I only made $61 that night. That is hardly over 10% in tips. Did I give inadequate service? Not anything that I thought was bad. Did I give in to your request for extra crispy wings and give you a warning that they will take longer to cook? Yes. Did I give you everything you asked for me to get and in proper time? Yes.

That shift last week, I had not ONE, not TWO, but THREE tables tip me $2 on checks that were $40-$50. If you cannot do the math, a $40 check means $8 is a 20% tip and a $50 check means $10 is 20%. $2 was not even 10%.

Sure, servers can make well over minimum wage on some nights, but it is the fact that you tip me $2 which means I am making less than what I am even paid by the government. Let me remind you, that is $2.83.

(Please keep reading)

I want you, the person who pays me, to remember this...

The holiday season is coming up. I understand this puts everybody in a bind, but the holiday season is one of the busiest times for restaurants due to the fact that everybody has places to be, so nobody wants to cook, people just decide to go out and eat.

Remember that your server would like to have a nice holiday season, the season of giving, and give their family presents, just as you would like to do. No, I am not telling you to do a #TipTheBillChallenge, but I am asking you to please be considerate as everybody is going through something.

Thank you for reading and understanding.