Friendships

As my first blog post for The Odyssey, I decided to write about something everyone is affected by. Friendships can begin with a simple hello and grow to become something bigger than you ever expected. When you find a good friend, it's difficult to remind them how important they are to you. People think their friends will always be there but, the truth is, if you don't stop and tell someone how much they mean to you they may just walk out of your life.

I always thought that nothing could tear my friendships apart, that we would be invincible forever. However, this is not always the case. The first worst case scenerio is your friend's boyfriend. He comes out of nowhere and then, two weeks later, he somehow takes up all her time. You're just a lost memory because you don't have a penis and that really sucks. I know you should want your friend to be happy, but you can't let go how much your friend has changed because of this boy. If it's your roommate, that's when you really start to notice. It's a type of jealousy you can't describe. You lose a part of your life. 

Another case in friendships is just choosing the wrong person to make good decisions for you. You don't truly know a person even if you have known them for months. It takes a while to trust someone and I think people rush through this trust barrier just because they want to be closer to someone. I have done this multiple times and it has always ended up badly for me. I want to be friends with someone and just because they are nice, at first, I put all my trust into them just for it to shatter. I'm not talking just about same-sex friendships; boys and girls are friends, too. Some of my greatest friendships have been with guys. However, they can be just as decieving as girls. 

These friendships may not be relatable for everyone, but I definitely believe most people go through these types of ups and downs with their friends. Some of your greatest memories will be with friends. They are the ones who are always there for you to make you laugh, cry and eat too much. They're there to make the world go 'round, but you proceed with caution with the new ones. People change and so will you, but one thing you should always think about in your friendships is being loyal and caring. Trust is a two way street and you can't expect to get more than you give. Just look before you cross the street.