Women who've struggled rejecting men should hear "Friends."

'Friends' by Marshmello & Anne-Marie Is Exactly What Every Girl Needs To Hear

When did "no means no" lose its power?

142
Hope Fairchild

When I first heard the song "Friends" by Marshmello and Anne-Marie that was published in early 2018, I was confused. I only caught the end of the song and didn't understand how impactful this song could be for women tired of men pushing them and patronizing them for putting the men in the "friend zone." When I was finally able to really listen to the lyrics and interpret them, I was so excited! Someone finally made a song talking about something I've gone through time and time again! Wow. If you haven't listened to this song, look it up right now!

I got to thinking what a song like this could do for the female population. Maybe it could even change the way men perceive being "friend-zoned."

Here's a taste of the song "Friends." Read the lyrics as if they're a woman pleading with a man to stop bothering her.

Don't mess it up, talking like that
Only gonna push me away, that's it
When you say you love me, that make me crazy
Here we go again

Don't go look at me with that look in your eye
You really ain't going away without a fight
You can't be reasoned with, I'm done being polite
I've told you 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thousand times

Haven't I made it obvious?
Haven't I made it clear?
Want me to spell it out for you?
F-R-I-E-N-D-S

Have you got no shame? You looking insane
Turning up at my door
It's 2 in the morning, the rain is pouring
Haven't we been here before?

If this song isn't enough, here are three images that might clue you into how women feel about overly-persistent guys who refuse to be "friend-zoned" or listen when a woman says no . . .

​1. This basically sums up every man who has complained about being in the friend zone. They don't give up and think it's okay. It's not.

2. No means no. It doesn't matter. They don't have to give a reason as to why you're friend zoned. They say no, you need to listen.

3. Maybe this is where the men who can't handle the friend zone should go.

Did anyone else think Yik Yak had disappeared with Vine? I didn't know it was even still out there anymore!

Like every other girl living in the United States, I have been cat-called, checked out, stared at, and worse. It's common even though it shouldn't be. Why is this a normality? I can almost guarantee that every girl has had this happen to them: a guy they've known forever or thought was their friend decides to take things to the next level and ask the girl out. Typically, one "no" isn't enough for the guy (and if it is, bless you). The guy tends to persist and ask the girl out time and time again. Not only is this annoying, but it's also flat-out harassment. Period.