Lost and Found: a Letter to the Friends Who Have Meant so Much

I’m not going to name these people, but I think you’ll know who you are. Yes I will be mentioning some people who I’m no longer friends with

1488
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_rk0oGifIz.jpeg

To my first best friend…

We were never so close that we did all of the things typical “best friends” would do, but we were young. We went to the same church and the same school, which might be why we were drawn to each other? I mean, we were both super shy and probably had other things in common, right? But I feel like I never really got to know you. We had so many sleepovers and inside jokes. We even had a little “club” that your dad made up for us and our other friends. Yet somehow, I feel like we’re complete strangers. When did we stop being such good friends? Obviously I don’t blame you for anything. We still talk and ask each other how we’re doing. We’ve been friendly all throughout high school, and I’ve never  had a problem with you. I think you’re a great person and you’re incredibly smart. I hope college treats you well. Much love.

To the guy who brought me out of my slump…

Your love for Star Wars, football, and art were probably the things that drew us together the most. I had a huge crush on you when we were little - like 80% of the other girls in class. Somehow though, you must have found something intriguing about me, because you asked me out in middle/grade school. Obviously it didn’t last long and was never anything serious, but you really made an impression on me. You, more than anyone, helped bring me out of a really bad time. I’m not even sure you knew this, but I want you to know that I really appreciate you. Even now, you have such a passion for music - it’s inspiring. And though we have never been the closest of friends, we started hanging out more in high school again, and that meant a lot to me. You’ve always been an amazing guy and I’m so proud of you. As a friend, I’ve watched you grow as a person and I can’t help but smile thinking about all of the great things you’ve accomplished. You’re an incredible musician and I love seeing you play with your band. I hope college is everything you wanted and more. Good luck with your band!

To the girl who loved to read and so much more…

You were one of the closest friends I’ve ever had. We stopped being friends for such a naive reason, and I’m so sorry for that. I think we both made mistakes, and I want you to know that I’ll never forget you. You were such an amazing and funny person. We shared so many laughs, whether it was by playing Just Dance, listening to cringy music, sweating in your living room, or just messing around in school. We had a lot in common and yet so little, though our shared love to read always kept us talking. That, and our similar taste in TV shows. It’s weird thinking back - because it really wasn’t too long ago - and seeing how much we’ve changed. We grew apart, and so did most of the rest of our friend group. Still, I’m genuinely happy that you seem happy. The guy you’re with is so great, and so are you. You honestly deserve the best life has for you and I hope you never stop chasing your dreams. Photography fits you well, and so will anything else you decide to do. So much love and respect.

To the friend I lost and miss the most…

You are so amazing. You’re so funny and beautiful, and your sense of humor is off the charts. Don’t let my stupidity change the way you felt about our friendship. I feel so selfish, and I blame myself for us growing apart the way we did. This summer was kind of a blur and I was putting things before our friendship that I shouldn’t have. I should have tried to keep in touch and actually hang out with you. I just want you to know that our friendship wasn’t worthless like I made it seem. You mean so much to me, and I really hope for the best for you. I feel terrible when I look back on it - because truthfully - what our group of friends had was pretty great. And I know it wasn’t only my fault, but it’s sad, you know? At least we don’t have to deal with all of the One Direction talk anymore. I guess what Schmiling was telling us about not keeping most of your high school friends was true, though. But I know you’ll do great in college and you’re probably already having a great time with your new friends. Love, love, love you. Hope you’re “livin it up.”

To my first college friend…

I’m sorry that your intro seems lame and underappreciating - but you know I love you. At first, when we were hanging out at Freshman Welcome and the week after, I thought you were just being nice to me because you felt bad and I was your suitemate. But I’m pretty sure I was wrong? I mean, you’re still here.. Just kidding. Kind of. You are so easy to talk to and I know I can trust you with any and all of my problems. You’ve been through a lot of shit, but you’re still a great person and an amazing friend. I feel like we’ve gotten so much closer, and I hope you feel that you can trust me with the same things. You’ve seen me naked, we’ve ALL seen you naked, and it’s great because we’re all cool like that (nice tats/piercings by the way). So far, our friendship has been great and I appreciate you so much. I hope we remain friends and keep doing all of the crazy shit we do. Love you lots.

To my underappreciated, lovely, beautiful friend…

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. You are so gorgeous and lovely. Girl, you deserve only the best. We were Facebook friends over the summer, but you know I was intimidated by you. I don’t think we really became decent friends until the end of last semester. Now that we’re back in MKE I feel closer to you than ever. I still feel like we have a lot to learn about each other, but you know we have something good happening. I hate that you deal with the shit that people give you, because you don’t deserve a single drop of it. You are your own woman and you honestly don’t need anyone else to be great. You are one of the most inspiring people I know, and I love that we’ve become friends. I hope that we grow even closer and remain good friends. P.s you can’t move because we all love you so much.

To the girl who’s ride or die…

You know who you are already, and that’s okay because this is everyone’s go-to for you. You’re such a GOOD friend. I couldn’t ask for a sweeter, more funny friend than you. You don’t deserve to be treated the way you do, and I hope you know we all love and support you. You’d throw hands for me, you’d kill a man for me, you’d probably do anything for me and I appreciate that more than you know. I’m so happy that we’ve become friends, because I know I can share anything with you and you won’t judge me for who I am. You’re gorgeous and I think it’s great that you’re willing to call me out or tell me exactly what you’re thinking. You can sleep on my futon any night. Love you, girl.

To the guy who thinks too little of himself...

I don’t even know where to start with you. Looking back to when we first met, all I can do is laugh. I mean, it’s kind of funny if you really think about it. You know I liked you, there was no denying that. Something, though, was in the way of that. Of course, I was not about to mess with it, but I still had the slightest hope that you liked me too. Everyone was telling me that you did, and that that one thing was the only factor standing between us. I called bullshit, and it’s honestly whatever now, but it’s still kinda funny. I hope you also see the irony in this. But I just want you to know that you make me incredibly happy. It’s still crazy to me that we actually are dating now. Like, what?! But it’s good - great even, and I hope you feel the same. You’re so sarcastic, clever, funny and sweet, not to mention smart. We have a lot in common, and I love getting to learn more about you everyday. One of my favorite things about you is that you ACTUALLY LIKE MOVIES. Everyone else claims they do, but nobody can sit down and just watch a movie with me like you can. Cheesy, but sweet. I’m glad we’re together, but even happier that we became friends in the first place. MKE turned out to be kind of great after all.

Lastly,

To the best friend I never saw coming…

We really weren’t even friends at the time, but do you remember when we found out we only lived 2 blocks away from each other? It wasn’t really until Freshman year that we became real friends. We started to hang out more and more, probably because your closest friend moved. And that really sucks, don’t get me wrong - I think she’s super cool and I wish that we were friends, but I’m glad it happened. I don’t think we’d be nearly as close if she hadn’t. We’ve been friends for what seems like so little time, yet somehow so much. You are by far the closest friend I’ve ever had and I know I don’t appreciate you enough. You’re my concussion crew, work buddy, partner in crime, my go-to, my best friend, my sister, and so much more. I was worried that moving 6 hours apart would ruin our friendship, but we made it work. Facetiming almost every night isn’t as much of a hassle as I thought it’d be. But then I found out how unhappy you were in Minnesota and I knew, even if we would risk ruining our friendship by living together, that being in Milwaukee would make you so much happier. You came to visit and met my friends, even then you knew I was right. AND HERE WE ARE. Sure, we fight on what seems like a daily basis, but I actually think we’re okay. I think that you made the right choice in transferring, and honestly, I don’t regret bringing up the idea. I truly hope you feel the same way. And yeah, it’s only been 2 weeks, but so far so good? I think we have some things to work out, but it seems like we could get even closer. Overall, I just want you to know how proud I am of you. You deal with your shit like a pro, and might slowly be getting over your crazy procrastinating. Just kidding. That’ll take a while. But you mean so much to me, and I know I don’t always open up to you as much as I could, but I’m working on it. You’re gorgeous, you’re my best friend, and I couldn’t be more proud of you. Yay, roomies!