It Is Okay To Walk Away From A Toxic Friendship

Friends Should Lift You Up, Not Bring You Down

You are not obligated to remain friends with someone if the relationship or friendship turns toxic, take a step back and reevaluate the friendship.

115
Sophia Otero

Sometimes in life, you run into people that have negative vibes, now when it comes to friends and the people that you surround yourself with they should not bring you down, make you feel bad, or shut down your ideas or opinions. That is not a friend. A friend is a person to rely on, someone you can trust, and someone that won't judge you no matter what.

Toxic friendships are very real and if you haven't had one yet, you are very fortunate. If there is one thing I have learned it is to treat people with respect, kindness, and you should get the same in return.

It is okay to walk away from a toxic friendship, or even a toxic relationship in general. It might seem difficult but there comes a point where you must take a step back and reevaluate the situation at hand.

It can be sad, disheartening even- when you realize that someone isn't who you thought they were. It is unfortunate and such a difficult situation but friends should lift you up, not bring you down.

Unlike family (which you can't choose,) you CAN choose who you are friends with. If you feel like you aren't being treated the way you like, if you feel like you are being disrespected, judged, or ridiculed behind your back, chances are that friendship needs to be reevaluated.

When it comes to any relationship you are not obligated to stay in one. Although it is never the first choice to end a relationship or a friendship your mental wellbeing should come first and foremost. You don't need to apologize, you don't need to elaborate on why, but if you are unhappy and feeling as though you are being mistreated, that is enough.

Do not stick around because of history, or because it is difficult and you would rather "try to work it out," if the relationship turns toxic there is no going back.

Sure, people can work through things- but if you are being mistreated and feeling out of sorts because of a relationship, make the decision to better yourself.

This might seem selfish but in the grand scheme of things if you are being brought down and the relationship is more trouble than its worth and you feel like you're constantly tiptoeing around the person to avoid a fight or an argument- the friendship just isn't what it should be.

I choose to surround myself with people who are positive, kind, have an open mind and don't judge me or others. Those are the people I choose to have as friends. Everyone finds the people they click with, the people they vibe with, and you are not obligated to stay in a toxic friendship.

Life is full of choices, choose your friends wisely, and know that it is okay to cut someone off if they are unhealthy for you.